Photonics vs Physics vs Mathematics

In summary, the individual is considering a PhD program in photonics, physics, or mathematics for their interest in energy advancement research. They are seeking advice on which field would be most suitable for their interests and if a degree in applied mathematics would make them a viable candidate for research in antimatter annihilation, fusion, and other related areas. It is suggested that applied or engineering physics would be a good fit, and that a degree in applied mathematics could also be useful, depending on the individual's background and previous research experience.
Gart11
Hello, I was wondering if perhaps someone could provide some insight as to the PhD program that would prepare me the best for what I would like to do research in one day. I am currently a mathematics undergrad with 2 semesters left. I am torn between getting a PhD in photonics, physics, and mathematics. I am just not sure which would be the best fit for my area of interest. The area I am interested in doing research is energy advancement i.e. anti-matter annihilation, fusion, photonic laser thrusters etc. Also, if one were to suggest say physics as the most appropriate for these areas of research, is there a particular area of physics that would be best? Mathematical physics? Particle physics? Theoretical physics? etc. Same with math, if one were to suggest math as an appropriate fit what would be better, applied or pure? Thank you for any and all honest feedback, I'm sure a lot of questions come through here like this, but I just can't seem to pick out which would benefit me the most in a research energy industry. Ideally I would like to go to graduate school in an area of mathematics, including mathematical physics, applied or pure math, and if one of these will get me into the above areas of research please let me know and which one, however, if an area of physics would be a better fit I would be more than willing to make the switch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gart11 said:
Also, if one were to suggest say physics as the most appropriate for these areas of research, is there a particular area of physics that would be best? Mathematical physics? Particle physics? Theoretical physics?

Applied or engineering physics in general. But pure physics does as well.

Gart11 said:
Same with math, if one were to suggest math as an appropriate fit what would be better, applied or pure?

"Applied" mathematics. The difference between pure and applied mathematics as study disciplines is that their emphasis is slightly different. But not very different.

Last edited:
But with a degree in applied mathematics would I be a viable candidate for getting hired to do research in antimatter research or fusion? Thank you for your response

Gart11 said:
But with a degree in applied mathematics would I be a viable candidate for getting hired to do research in antimatter research or fusion? Thank you for your response

I think it depends on how many courses you've studied in physics. If you've not done enough then it may require you to take more physics courses from somewhere or prove your knowledge of physics in other ways. Hiring also depends on the person and your previous research in the topic. In the admission to a PhD program they would be looking that you've studied relevant studies, have done some research (at minimum a thesis/dissertation that relates to the subject at some level) and/or have done some publications relating to the subject. Also work experience, if it's something related to the research.

Interesting. I definitely like the idea of applied mathematics. I like it's broad spectrum of application. I am just afraid that if I went down this route I may not be useful in energy advancement research. But I agree that will probably be reliant on my thesis indeed.

What is the difference between photonics, physics, and mathematics?

Photonics is a branch of physics that deals with the study and manipulation of light, while physics is a broader field that encompasses the study of matter and energy in the universe. Mathematics, on the other hand, is a discipline that uses abstract concepts and symbols to study relationships and patterns.

Which field has more practical applications - photonics, physics, or mathematics?

All three fields have practical applications, as they are all interconnected. Photonics has applications in technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar cells. Physics has a wide range of applications including medicine, engineering, and energy production. Mathematics is used in various fields, from finance and computer science to engineering and physics.

Do all three fields require a strong background in math?

Yes, all three fields require a strong foundation in mathematics. Photonics and physics use mathematical models and equations to describe and understand the behavior of light and matter, while mathematics is the language used to communicate and analyze these concepts.

How does photonics differ from traditional optics?

Traditional optics deals with the behavior of light in classical systems, while photonics incorporates quantum mechanics to understand and manipulate light at the subatomic level. Photonics also includes the use of new materials and technologies to control and detect light in novel ways.

Which field is best suited for someone interested in research and innovation?

All three fields offer opportunities for research and innovation. Photonics and physics have a more experimental approach, while mathematics is more theoretical. Ultimately, the best field for research and innovation depends on one's interests and strengths.