Photos of 2 Sydney, Australia Icons

In summary, Sydney Harbour Bridge after the late afternoon storm has passed. The view of North Sydney from the bridge brings back fond memories.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
A couple of images from my photo activities

Sydney Harbour Bridge - after the late afternoon storm had passed
Affectionately known as "The Coathanger

upload_2017-9-3_14-53-44.png

The Sydney Opera House in later afternoon sun
"The Sails"

2014_06_01_1118sm.jpg
Dave

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-3_14-53-37.png
    upload_2017-9-3_14-53-37.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 456
Likes fresh_42, DennisN, Borg and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
I was there back in June 2016! Even went to Bondi Beach for a swim, something that usually can't be done at that time in NZ.

Likes davenn
StevieTNZ said:
I was there back in June 2016! Even went to Bondi Beach for a swim, something that usually can't be done at that time in NZ.
Heh, only a New Zealander (or maybe a Canadian or Scandinavia) could do that. I was born and raised in Sydney, and we'd normally stop going to the beach around Mar/Apr as it became too cold.

OTOH, there are the "Bondi Icebergs" who go swimming all year around, accompanied by a large block of ice. :nb)

Likes davenn
davenn said:
Sydney Harbour Bridge - after the late afternoon storm had passed
What the little white things? Looks like a rabbit and... koala? wombat? Are they floats on the harbour, or land-based on Miller's Point?

The view of North Sydney beyond the bridge brings back fond memories. It was my favorite area of Sydney to work in -- much better than the CBD.

Likes davenn
strangerep said:
What the little white things? Looks like a rabbit and... koala? wombat? Are they floats on the harbour, or land-based on Miller's Point?

was wondering if some one would notice that ... yes rabbits ... I didn't get any closer
so not sure of their exact location. but they appear to be more likely on this ( under bridge ) side of harbour

2014_06_01_1123cc.jpg

strangerep said:
Heh, only a New Zealander (or maybe a Canadian or Scandinavia) could do that. I was born and raised in Sydney, and we'd normally stop going to the beach around Mar/Apr as it became too cold.

OTOH, there are the "Bondi Icebergs" who go swimming all year around, accompanied by a large block of ice. :nb)
My dad did overhear someone complain how cold it was. "Cold?!" Also heard some complaints about the price of petrol, when it was lower than the prices in NZ.

1. What are the two Sydney, Australia icons featured in the photos?

The two Sydney, Australia icons featured in the photos are the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

2. Why are these two icons important to Sydney and Australia?

The Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge are both important landmarks and symbols of Australia's cultural and architectural heritage. They are also significant tourist attractions and contribute to the economy of Sydney and Australia.

3. When were the photos of these icons taken?

The exact date of when the photos were taken is not mentioned, but both the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge were completed in the 1970s.

4. Can you provide any interesting facts about these icons?

The Sydney Opera House was designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon and its unique design is inspired by the shape of sails on a ship. The Sydney Harbour Bridge is the largest steel arch bridge in the world and is nicknamed the "Coathanger" due to its shape.

5. Are there any other famous landmarks in Sydney?

Yes, there are many other famous landmarks in Sydney, including Bondi Beach, Darling Harbour, and the Royal Botanic Garden. Sydney is also home to many museums, galleries, and historic buildings such as the Queen Victoria Building and the Sydney Town Hall.