1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phyiscs or mech eng better suited for energy study

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    I am currently a physics math major with a strong interest in solar energy. I am early enough in my degree to switch majors. My intention is to pursue graduate study but I want to make sure I am on the right track.

I wanted to know what was a better fit for career researching and working with solar energy for the purpose of energy generation. I am concerned since it seems the only way phyiscs really works in is on the material science from and I am not really interested in that aspect of the process. I want to research buidling devices that generate power from solar. Is that out of the stomping grounds of advance physics degree. I am worried that I would just be studying the property of a specific piece, rather than the whole system that makes it work.

any insight much appreciated

Thanks in advance

M

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2
    What kind of solar are we talking about here? Photovoltaics, solar-thermal, solar-thermolysis?

Your going to find this no matter what route you go. No one person does everything in commercial projects.

If you want to work on improving photovoltaics I suggest you go the physics route in the field of condensed matter and/or material science. If you want to work on anything else solar powered then mechanical engineering is probably your best bet. Although I have heard of electrical engineers developing PV cells as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook