1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Physical Chemist - Molecular Biophysics Research

1. Jul 29, 2010 #1
    Now I'm undergrad student, majoring in Physics.

But I think I prefer to be a physical chemist and want to be a university lecturer in department of chemistry.

My research field is molecular biophysics and I need to have a basic knowledge of organic chemistry and biochemistry, but now I'm in Physics department. I think I'm in the wrong way.

What should I do?
    If I continue study BS in Physics, is it difficult to change to chemistry in MS and PhD?
    or is it better to change my major now? (I have to study 5 years to do that)

(Sorry if my grammar is wrong. I'm Thai and I use English as the second language)

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2010 #2

I have a lecturuer at University that worked in the Chemistry deparment and recently swapped to Physics; as there is a lot of overlap he could get away with this. I studied a combination of Physical Chemistry and Physics as an undergraduate and I would say that my chemistry courses were very similar to that done in the Physics department.

However, I did no organic Chemistry and only a little inorganic. If you want to work as a physical chemist I can't see why you would need to know organic/inorganic? If it is only a 'basic' knowledge of these topics then you can pick this up from books on your own.

I would stick where you are and maybe do some extra-curricular activites that demonstrate you have an interest in the Chemical side also. That way, when you apply for Masters you can demonstrate an early interest rather than just a fickle switch in goals.

All the masters/PhD courses I have seen usually ask for a suitable undergraduate course, it's not specific as to what that might be, Physics/Maths/Chemistry are all similar disciplines in the respect that they develop logical skills and the use of the scientific method, proof, etc. so I doubt you would have problems applying for a Physical Chemsitry post graduate course.
  4. Jul 29, 2010 #3
    P.S. Just to add, Physics pays a lot more than Chemistry at the academic level, which I suspect was the motivation for the Chemist to switch to Physics at my University.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook