Physical Chemistry: Atkins or Levine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the options of purchasing the Atkins or Levine textbook for learning physical chemistry. The speaker shares their negative experience with the Atkins book, citing issues with its structure and definition of key concepts. They also mention the excellence of Levine's book on quantum chemistry. Another person adds that Moore's book on physical chemistry is a personal favorite, although it is considered old. They suggest it may pair well with Mcquarrie's book.
Improvisation
Good evening guys,
I have to decide whether to purchase Atkins or Levine for my physical chemistry learning? Personal experiences with the textbooks are encouraged.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found Atkins a horrible book. Let me give you an example: He starts out to introduce temperature via reference to the ideal gas law, and remarks, that a precise definition will be given later. Later, he defines entropy as S=Q/T and finally claims that now he can define T as dU/dS, which is obviously circular. Generally with thermodynamics, it is quite hard to make out a structure. There are many preliminary settings and it is hard to find a final definition.
Of Ira Levine, I only know her book on quantum chemistry, which is excellent.
One of my personal favourites is the book "Physical Chemistry" by Walter J. Moore.

I liked Moore Physical Chemistry

Moore is classic but very old. It is at the macroscopic level & might go well with Bruce Mcquarrie's book.

I have personally used both Atkins and Levine for my studies in physical chemistry. Both are excellent textbooks and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Atkins is known for its clear and concise explanations, making it a great choice for beginners or those who may struggle with complex concepts. It also has a large number of practice problems, which can be helpful for reinforcing key concepts.

On the other hand, Levine is known for its in-depth coverage of topics, making it a great resource for advanced students or those looking for a deeper understanding of physical chemistry. It also has a wide range of real-world applications, which can be useful for those interested in practical applications of the subject.

Ultimately, the decision between Atkins and Levine may depend on your personal learning style and the specific topics you are interested in. I would recommend trying to look at both textbooks in person, if possible, to see which one resonates with you more.

Additionally, I would also suggest considering using both textbooks in conjunction with each other. This can provide a well-rounded understanding of the subject and allow you to see different perspectives on the same topic.

Overall, both Atkins and Levine are highly respected textbooks in the field of physical chemistry and I am confident that either one would be a valuable resource for your studies.

1. What is the difference between Atkins and Levine's approach to physical chemistry?

Both Atkins and Levine are influential textbooks in the field of physical chemistry, but they have slightly different approaches. Atkins focuses more on the theoretical and mathematical aspects of physical chemistry, while Levine emphasizes the connection between physical chemistry and real-world applications. Additionally, Atkins is generally more concise and mathematical, while Levine provides more detailed explanations and examples.

2. Which textbook is better for beginners in physical chemistry?

This is a subjective question and depends on the individual's learning style. Some may find Atkins' concise and mathematical approach easier to follow, while others may prefer Levine's more detailed explanations. It is recommended to preview both textbooks and see which style resonates more with the reader.

3. Are there any major differences in content between Atkins and Levine?

Both textbooks cover the fundamental principles and concepts of physical chemistry, such as thermodynamics, kinetics, and quantum mechanics. However, there may be some variations in the order and depth in which these topics are presented. It is best to consult both textbooks for a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

4. Which textbook is more up-to-date?

Both Atkins and Levine have been continuously updated and revised to stay current with the advancements in the field of physical chemistry. However, it is always recommended to check the publication date of the specific edition when using either textbook.

5. Do I need to use both Atkins and Levine for a complete understanding of physical chemistry?

While it is not necessary to use both textbooks, it can be beneficial to consult both for a more comprehensive understanding of the subject. Each textbook has its strengths and may present certain topics in a different way, providing a well-rounded understanding of physical chemistry.