Physical Chemistry: Chemical Equlibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equilibrium constant and ΔG° for a reaction involving SO3, SO2, and O2 gases at a fixed volume and temperature. The ratio of SO2:SO3 at equilibrium is given and the question is how to find the equilibrium constant. Multiple attempts and equations are discussed, but the correct equation to use is not identified.
jamesrb

Homework Statement

For the reaction:
2SO3(g) →2SO2(g)+O2(g)
when 2.00 mol of SO3 is added to a flask at 10.0 L and 350 K at fixed volume, at equilibrium the ratio of SO2:SO3 is 0.663. What is the values of the equilibrium constant? What is ΔG° at this temperature?

Homework Equations

ΔrxnG°=-RTlnK

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out how to find K. I'm thinking I need to find the partial pressures of the various gases in order to get it but I cannot see how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of SO2 and SO3 together? Knowing how many moles in total and the ratio, can you calculate number of moles of each?

Well if we used 2.00 moles of SO2 to start then:
1.326 moles of SO2
0.674 moles of SO3
at equilibrium

Simple check:

[tex]\frac {1.326}{0.674} \neq 0.663[/tex]

Borek said:
Knowing how many moles in total and the ratio, can you calculate number of moles of each?
I though I could but nothing I can come up with gives me a ratio of 0.663 :mad:

jamesrb said:
I though I could but nothing I can come up with gives me a ratio of 0.663 :mad:
What equation did you use to get the molar amounts?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What equation did you use

I would ask "what equations" (and that's an important hint).

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in a chemical reaction where the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

2. What factors affect chemical equilibrium?

The factors that affect chemical equilibrium include temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants and products, and the presence of a catalyst.

3. How can chemical equilibrium be disrupted?

Chemical equilibrium can be disrupted by changing the conditions of the reaction, such as adding or removing reactants or products, changing the temperature or pressure, or introducing a catalyst.

4. How is chemical equilibrium represented in a chemical equation?

Chemical equilibrium is represented by a double arrow (⇌) in a chemical equation, indicating that the reaction can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions.

5. What is Le Chatelier's principle and how does it relate to chemical equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a change in conditions, the system will respond by shifting in a direction that minimizes the effect of the change. This principle is often used to predict how changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration will affect a reaction at equilibrium.