Physical Chemistry terminology

So, with the ground state energies, you can estimate the differences in bond energy. As for books, I recommend "Physical Chemistry" by P.W. Atkins for a thorough explanation of each variable and equation. In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between bond energy and bond dissociation energy in the context of a Morse potential curve, and the definition of vibrational constant (VC). The conversation also mentioned the possibility of estimating bond energy and bond dissociation energy for a specific molecule and isotope, and recommended a textbook for further explanation of variables and equations in physical chemistry.
ChopChop
I'm just having a difficult time trying to differentiate between variables used and terms thrown around in PChem. :confused:

First of all, what is the difference between "bond energy" and "bond dissociation energy" in a Morse potential curve? I thought they were interchangeable.

Also, does anyone know what the vibrational constant (ve) is? I've been searching through my book and the terms "vibrational constant" isn't on there, but for some reason, I keep thinking it's this equation:

ω = (k/m)1/2

But my book never gives that equation a name! I just assumed it was a vibrational constant because of the force constant, k.

I'm so confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
"Bond Energy" (BE), and "bond dissociation energy" (BDE) are the same IDEA, at the very least--details can vary a little on context. BDE is literally the amount of energy it would take to break a bond; so this is a well defined number. BE is the 'energy stored in the bond' which is dependent on your reference point; usually BE is a negative number--the zero point referring to the point at which the bond will be broken. E.g. the BE is -151 J/mol, and the BDE is 151 J/mol. If for some reason the BE was being measured relative to something else, then the BE and BDE wouldn't be the same.

"Vibrational constant" (VC) is not a classical term, but I'm guessing you're on the right track. The equation you wrote
[tex]
\omega = \sqrt(k/m)
[/tex]
is the angular frequency of oscillation (for a mass m, and spring constant k), the frequency would then be
[tex]
\nu = \omega / 2\pi
[/tex]
which might be what they are referring to. Check the units to be sure, if its frequency is should be in Hz (hertz = inverse seconds).

Thank you for the much needed clarification! :)

Is it possible to estimate bond energy and bond dissociation energy from just looking at the molecule? Here the professor asks:

Estimate the bond energy and bond dissociation energy for 2D79Br based on the isotope 1H79Br.

But my book never gives anything on how to solve something like that! I don't know where to start other than the fact that I can calculate the reduced/effective mass.

Do know of any books that would explain in detail each variable for each equation? It's so frustrating to have a useless textbook plus the fact that I have to stay tethered to a computer because I don't have a laptop.

Sorry, I don't know of any good books for it.
My guess about question:
You can get the BE by take the mass of the molecule, and subtracting the mass of its components. E.g.
[tex]
E_{DBr} = E_{D} + E_{Br} + E_{bond}
[/tex]
im not sure what that has to do with the other isotope though...

I'm not sure, either. Maybe it has something to do with bond order?

I take it you're calculating vibrational energy levels, probably using the harmonic oscillator model?

Given the H.O. model, the vibrational energies can be calculated from the reduced mass and the force constant. Since isotopes have the same chemical properties, the force constant will be the same. They different isotope species will have different vibrational energy levels, including the ground state (zero-point) level.

This difference in zero-point vibrational energy means a difference in bond energy.

1. What is the definition of physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter, as well as the energy and forces that govern these properties.

2. What is the difference between physical chemistry and chemical physics?

Physical chemistry focuses on the application of physical laws and theories to the study of chemical systems, while chemical physics focuses on the intersection of chemistry and physics, specifically the behavior of atoms and molecules.

3. What is the difference between thermodynamics and kinetics in physical chemistry?

Thermodynamics is the study of the flow and transformation of energy in a system, while kinetics is the study of the rate and mechanism of chemical reactions. In other words, thermodynamics explains if a reaction is possible, while kinetics explains how fast it will occur.

4. What is an equilibrium constant in physical chemistry?

An equilibrium constant is a measure of the concentration of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

5. What are the three states of matter in physical chemistry?

The three states of matter in physical chemistry are solid, liquid, and gas. A solid has a fixed shape and volume, a liquid has a fixed volume but takes the shape of its container, and a gas has neither a fixed shape nor volume.