Physical difference between singlet and triplet states

In summary, the two <up,down> + <down,up> and <up,down> - <down,up> spin states are physically different despite both having opposite spin for the particles. This is because quantum states cannot be interpreted in a classical manner and instead provide probability distributions for measured values. Therefore, these two states have different probability distributions and are considered different states. Additionally, a state with zero angular momentum about the z-axis in quantum mechanics does not necessarily mean that the system is not rotating, as it could be rotating about a different axis.
Wminus
Hey!

How are the two m=0 spin states (<up,down> + <down,up>) and (<up,down> - <down,up>) physically different? I realize that according to the math, the first one has a total spin of ##2 \hbar## while the second has a total spin of ##0##. But wouldn't you, intuitively, expect both states to have zero total spin? I mean the particles have opposite spin in both of them.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I intuitively expect that different states have different properties.
But it seems you think those states aren't different. It seems to me its a problem you have with the meaning of wave-function. The two states ## |\uparrow\downarrow\rangle \pm |\downarrow\uparrow\rangle ## don't mean that one particle's spin points upward and another points downward. Quantum states can't be interpreted this way. They don't tell you what each particle is doing exactly.
Quantum states give you the probability distribution for the values of each of the quantities you may measure. And the two states above will give you different probability distributions and so they are different states.

Likes Wminus
Your misunderstanding isn't quantum mechanical, it's classical.

I have a state where the angular momentum about the z-axis is zero. Classically I don't know if this system is not rotating, or if it is rotating about some orthogonal axis.

Likes Wminus and Nugatory

1. What is the difference between singlet and triplet states?

The main difference between singlet and triplet states is the spin orientation of the electrons. In singlet states, the electrons have opposite spins, while in triplet states, the spins are parallel. This results in different energy levels and properties for each state.

2. How do singlet and triplet states differ in terms of stability?

Singlet states are generally more stable than triplet states due to the paired electron spins, which results in a lower energy state. Triplet states, on the other hand, have higher energy levels and are therefore less stable.

3. Can you give an example of a molecule with singlet and triplet states?

Oxygen is a common example of a molecule with both singlet and triplet states. In its ground state, oxygen exists as a triplet state with two unpaired electrons. However, when it absorbs energy, one of the electrons can transition to a singlet state, resulting in a more stable state.

4. How are singlet and triplet states related to electron transitions?

Singlet states are associated with electron transitions between states with opposite spins, while triplet states involve transitions between states with parallel spins. This is due to the conservation of spin in electron transitions.

5. What are the applications of singlet and triplet states in chemistry and physics?

Singlet and triplet states have various applications in fields such as chemistry and physics. They are important in understanding and manipulating chemical reactions, as well as in fields like quantum computing and spintronics.