Physical Interpretation of Integration

In summary, the speakers discuss the physical interpretation of integration and how it relates to velocity. They use the analogy of accumulation and mention the importance of learning calculus to fully understand the concept. They also suggest integrating over an appropriate quantity and mention the rules and limitations involved in calculus.
Hamza Abbasi
I always wondered that what is the physical interpretation of integration . How come integrating position gives as velocity? Can some one explain me what is physical insight of integration ? Ignore my poor communication skills.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrating position does not give velocity.

I think of integration as accumulation. A moving object accumulates change in position, so the integral of velocity is the total change in position.

Dr. Courtney said:
oh sorry for that

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Courtney said:

I think of integration as accumulation. A moving object accumulates change in position, so the integral of velocity is the total change in position.
Wow ! I never thought this analogy for integration . Can you please further elaborate with giving some more examples.

Integral of height (of curve) is area under curve.

Likes Hamza Abbasi
Hamza Abbasi said:
Can some one explain me what is physical insight of integration ?

You're best bet is to learn calculus, which is all about integration and differentiation.

Short of that, the answers above are pretty good. But without learning calculus, you're going to understand integration about as well as someone who knows the different colors but never learned to paint or color.

Dr. Courtney said:
so the integral of velocity is the total change in position.
You would need to integrate over an appropriate quantity. In this case, it would be time ∫v(t) dt = s. Integration (the definite integral) involves two things. It is the reverse of differentiation and it is calculated between limits ( start and end values) The limits are important where Physics is concerned. There is often but not necessarily the idea of an area 'under a graph' involved, which is how the idea is mostly approached when you learn about Calculus.
@Hamsa
You really need to learn about Calculus if you want any deep appreciation of what it's all about. There are some very strict rules involved in what you can do and how to do it. Without knowing the rules, it is just arm waving. The only things you can know about Calculus, without doing it formally, is that differentiation is about the rate at which one quantity changes with another quantity and that definite integration is about summing things up. Maths is definitely worth getting into and constantly advancing with whatever level you are at at the moment.

Last edited:

1. What is the physical interpretation of integration?

The physical interpretation of integration is the calculation of the area under a curve on a graph. It can also be thought of as finding the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. How is integration used in science?

Integration is used in science to analyze and model various physical phenomena. It is particularly useful in physics, where it is used to calculate quantities such as work, energy, and motion.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves calculating the area under a curve between two specific points, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function.

4. Can integration be applied to non-linear functions?

Yes, integration can be applied to non-linear functions. In fact, integration is a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding non-linear relationships and systems.

5. What is the relationship between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. Integration is used to find the area under a curve, while differentiation is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. They are connected by the fundamental theorem of calculus.