Physical interpretation of the Hamiltonian

In summary, the Hamiltonian L=T-V is used as the value to be extremized when dealing with the Euler-Lagrange equation in a physical setting. The physical interpretation of this extremizing is closely related to the Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian, and can be further understood through various resources such as the article "Action from Conserved Energy" by Jozef Hanc and Edwin F. Taylor and the discussion in a thread from January 2010. Another possible explanation for the validity of Hamilton's principle comes from Feynman's path-integral formulation of quantum mechanics, where the classical limit is given by the stationary-phase approximation of the path integral.
zush
When dealing with the Euler-Lagrange equation in a physical setting, one usually uses the Hamiltonian L=T-V as the value to be extremized. What is the physical interpretation of the extremizing of this value?

Physics news on Phys.org
zush said:
When dealing with the Euler-Lagrange equation in a physical setting, one usually uses the Hamiltonian L=T-V as the value to be extremized. What is the physical interpretation of the extremizing of this value?

Actually, (T - V) is the Lagrangian.
It doesn't matter all that much, the Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian are very closely related

As to the Lagrangian (T - V), Here is what I replied in a thread from january 2010:

Try reading the article "www.eftaylor.com/pub/ActionFromConsEnergy.pdf"[/URL][/u] written by Jozef Hanc and Edwin F. Taylor.
They're putting in a serious effort to build up to an intuitive understanding of the principle.
There's more where that came from, the authors have collaborated on several other articles. Links to those articles are available on the [u][PLAIN]http://eftaylor.com/leastaction.html"
page on Taylor's website.

In november 2010 I posted a discussion in a thread where someone asked https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=443711"
The physical interpretation stuff is in post #10 of that thread.

I believe that discussion is good, but of course you must make your own judgement.
An expanded version of that discussion is in the http://www.cleonis.nl/physics/phys256/least_action.php" article on my own website.

When it comes to physical interpretation of the Lagrangian there are very few sources. I get the impression that textbook authors copy what earlier authors have written. That's not necessarily bad, but there's no innovation, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I learned yesterday, that it is not allowed to answer with quantum theory in the classical-physics section of this forum, I cannot resist to mention that one possible very intuitive "explanation" for the validity of Hamilton's principle comes from Feynman's path-integral formulation of quantum mechanics. Here, the classical limit is given by the stationary-phase approximation of the path integral. I.e., if the action becomes large compared to [tex]\hbar[/tex], the path integral is well approximated by consdering only the trajectories in phase space, which are very close to the classical trajectory.

The Lagrangian formulation follows then for a often applicable special case, where the Hamiltonian is quadratic in the canonical momenta with space independent coefficients.

thank you I found what I was looking for

The Hamiltonian, which is the difference between the kinetic energy (T) and potential energy (V), has a physical interpretation as the total energy of a system. When the Hamiltonian is extremized, it represents the state of the system where the total energy is at its minimum or maximum value. This is important in physics because it allows us to determine the equilibrium state of a system and predict its behavior over time.

In the context of the Euler-Lagrange equation, extremizing the Hamiltonian means finding the path or trajectory in which the system's total energy is conserved. This is known as the principle of least action and is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics. It states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian (L=T-V) over time.

In summary, the physical interpretation of extremizing the Hamiltonian in the context of the Euler-Lagrange equation is that it represents finding the path or trajectory in which the system's total energy is conserved, and the principle of least action governs the system's behavior. This has important implications in understanding the dynamics of physical systems and predicting their behavior.

1. What is the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a system. It is often referred to as the "energy operator" and is represented by the symbol H.

2. How is the Hamiltonian used to interpret physical systems?

The Hamiltonian is used to determine the time evolution of a physical system. It provides information about the energy levels, dynamics, and properties of a system, such as position and momentum. It also helps in predicting the behavior of a system over time.

3. What is the physical significance of the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian?

The eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian correspond to the energy levels of the system. These values represent the allowed energies of the system, and the corresponding eigenvectors represent the states of the system at those energies.

4. How does the Hamiltonian relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum state. The Hamiltonian is a key component of this equation, as it represents the total energy of the system and determines the evolution of the state over time.

5. Can the Hamiltonian be used to interpret classical physical systems?

Yes, the Hamiltonian can also be used to describe classical physical systems. In classical mechanics, the Hamiltonian is defined as the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of a system. It is used to describe the dynamics and behavior of classical systems, such as planetary motion or the motion of particles in a gas.