Landau's inertial frame logic

gionole
I had an interesting thought.

Let's only look at the free particle scenario.

We derive euler lagrange even without the need to know what exactly ##L## is (whether its a function of kinetic energy or not) - deriving EL still can be done. Though, because in the end, we end up with such EL(##\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q} = 0##), we see that ##L## couldn't have been a function of ##\dot q## which depends on ##t##, because if ##\dot q## depends on ##t##, euler lagrange couldn't be applied to it as EL derivates ##L## wrt to ##\dot q##.

So at this time, we know ##L## is a function of ##v## in which ##v## doesn't depend on ##t##.

Then Landau tries to come up with what ##L## is. in the ##K'## inertial frame, he shows that ##L' = L(v^2) + \frac{dL}{dv^2}2v\epsilon##. Everything is clear till now, but then he changes ##v## into ##\frac{dr}{dt}##. How can he do that if the initial assumption is that ##v## and ##q## are not a function of ##t## in ##L## ? (I know that adding total time derivative doesn't change EOM, but this question is not about this)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured out the logic in my head.

By that, he doesn't say that ##L'## is a function of ##v, q## which depend on $t$ - he doesn't say this. He just shows that adding total time derivative doesn't change EOM.

1. What is Landau's inertial frame logic?

Landau's inertial frame logic is a set of principles and equations developed by Lev Landau, a renowned Soviet physicist, to describe the behavior of objects in inertial frames of reference. Inertial frames of reference are frames in which Newton's first law of motion (the law of inertia) holds true, meaning that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Landau's inertial frame logic differ from Newton's laws of motion?

While Newton's laws of motion are more general and apply to all frames of reference, Landau's inertial frame logic is specifically designed for inertial frames. It takes into account the effects of special relativity and is more accurate in describing the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

3. What are the key principles of Landau's inertial frame logic?

The key principles of Landau's inertial frame logic include the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, and the principle of inertia, which states that an object will remain in a state of rest or uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How is Landau's inertial frame logic applied in scientific research?

Landau's inertial frame logic is used in various fields of physics, such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, to accurately describe the behavior of objects in inertial frames of reference. It is also used in the development of theories and models, as well as in experimental design and data analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to Landau's inertial frame logic?

While Landau's inertial frame logic is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of objects in inertial frames, it does have its limitations. It does not take into account the effects of non-inertial frames, such as those experiencing acceleration or rotation. It also does not account for quantum effects, which are better described by other theories such as quantum mechanics.