Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical principles of hovercraft?

1. Jun 14, 2007 #1
    Ok, plans for constructing your own hovercraft are ubiquitous on the internet these days. Most of them give simplistic explanations of how the craft work, but I'd like to know a little more. What kind of knowledge does one need to understand hovercraft in a precise mathematical way?

I'm sorry if my question is vague or poorly phrased. I guess what I'm looking for is a little direction, i.e. that I should familiarize myself with such-and-such equations from fluid mechanics. My physics education is rather limited (I've taken a single course on mechanics for first-year engineers), but I've taken several classes on calculus (single and multivariable), linear and non-linear ODEs, and an introductory course to PDEs. For the record I've at least heard of the Navier-Stokes equations.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  4. Jun 15, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Hovercraft aren't very difficult - all you need it is static pressure and airflow from Bernoulli's equation. Static pressure multiplied by the skirt area gives you lift.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?