Physicist alive today who you believe deserve a nobel prize

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 4K views
xdrgnh
Messages
415
Reaction score
0
Are there any physicist alive today who you believe should have a nobel prize already?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
neyzenyelda said:
Stephan Hawking.

Why? His ideas have never been proven experimentally.
 
Is there some where I can read more on Lene Hau's work? I'm trying to google but not coming up with something that seems detailed.
 
encorp said:
Is there some where I can read more on Lene Hau's work? I'm trying to google but not coming up with something that seems detailed.

From her publications page, she shows most of her major papers:

http://www.deas.harvard.edu/haulab/publications/HauPublications_All.htm

The actual papers are there as pdfs. Also, the following she wrote for lay audience, describes some of the work she is best known for:

http://learner.org/courses/physics/unit/pdfs/unit7.pdf
 
First: Sir Michael Berry, maybe together with Aharonov.

Second, although I am not sure he really earns it, I am quite sure Laurens Molenkamp will become a candidate in the long run for his stuff on topological insulators.
 
Do you have to be human to win? I nominate Ed Whitten. Not so much for physics, but for peace. Most people I think who attempt to read his work find peace.
 
encorp said:
Is there some where I can read more on Lene Hau's work? I'm trying to google but not coming up with something that seems detailed.
We've had several threads about her work a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5uF1qx7mT0&feature=related



http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/01.24/01-stoplight.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Edward Witten may be the first posthumous nobel prize winner, if string theory ends up being experimentally verified in another century or so.
 
Didn't Ed Whitten say to find strings look up into the sky for a primordial string? (paraphraseish)

Ed Whitten is still a young man. Hope he takes the prize.