Physicist and Entrepreneurism in the Future

In summary: I am grateful for the advice and am open to any thoughts or suggestions.In summary, the author is interested in pursuing further education in physics and mathematics, but is unsure of whether it is compatible with his career goal of becoming a medical doctor or researcher. He is open to any thoughts or suggestions others may have.
MyoPhilosopher
Hello,

I will do my best to keep my question brief.

I love physics and mathematics, and before anything in my life I felt the need to commit to this degree to simply be happy in life as I feel the absolute need to further understand everything around me.
I plan to eventually work for myself, however I am prepared to gain experience in relevant fields for some years until I have sufficient capital.
I am open to the idea, and quite likely set, to pursue some type of Masters/PhD (most likely just an MSc).

Is there any advice anyone can give on what to look for for further education (past a bachelors).
I am interested in German Universities as I don't believe in paying crazy amounts just to enter the work force without any experience.
I hold an EU passport and this seems like my best bet.
I would like to eventually contribute to health and the human body seen as a thermodynamic engine, with focus on disease etc.
Is this something I am overthinking too early in my path?
I have struggled to find people on the same path.

Any advice is appreciated, especially with advise on which physics path that can help me reach my final goal as well as give me the best chance of landing a good job where I can progress. I understand it is vague but I am trying to explore all my options. ANy advice you wish you knew before entering the work force as a physicist etc.

Thanks for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wish I had something deeper to say but, be patient as you do your degree and pay attention to what makes you feel good, attracts you and follow it. Difficult to know early on but try to see what works for you as time goes by. Hope others will have more, something better. Good thing you're thinking about this early in your career. Good luck!

Likes MyoPhilosopher
MyoPhilosopher said:
I love physics and mathematics, and before anything in my life I felt the need to commit to this degree to simply be happy in life as I feel the absolute need to further understand everything around me...

Is there any advice anyone can give on what to look for for further education (past a bachelors)...

I would like to eventually contribute to health and the human body seen as a thermodynamic engine, with focus on disease etc.
Is this something I am overthinking too early in my path?
I have struggled to find people on the same path.
These goals seem incompatible with each other. Your career goal seems to be that of a medical doctor or researcher whereas you seem to want to learn physics just because they are interested in it. Most people don't have the luxury of being able to spend 6 years of their early adulthood on entertainment.

I think you should try to focus your plan more. Figure out what you want to research and then what education is required for it and do that.

russ_watters said:
These goals seem incompatible with each other. Your career goal seems to be that of a medical doctor or researcher whereas you seem to want to learn physics just because they are interested in it. Most people don't have the luxury of being able to spend 6 years of their early adulthood on entertainment.

I think you should try to focus your plan more. Figure out what you want to research and then what education is required for it and do that.
I would say it is closer to viewing the human body using mathematical models. This will be a decision I will have to make based on many factors in the future. I have not questioned my decision to focus on physics and mathematics. I am committed to working for myself and this is a real issue I believe we need to solve moving forward - specifically where modern medicine has failed.
However, I am very young and understand entering the work force is a difficult task and specifically will be challenging for me given my current situation.

1. What is the role of a physicist in entrepreneurship?

A physicist can bring a unique perspective to entrepreneurship by applying scientific principles and analytical thinking to problem-solving and innovation. They can also use their knowledge of technology and research to create new products or improve existing ones.

2. How does entrepreneurship benefit from physics?

Entrepreneurship can benefit from physics in various ways. Physics can provide a solid foundation for understanding the technical aspects of a business, such as product design and development, as well as identifying potential market opportunities through data analysis and research.

3. How can a physicist become an entrepreneur?

A physicist can become an entrepreneur by leveraging their scientific background and skills to identify a problem or need, and develop a solution or product to address it. They can also collaborate with other professionals and experts to bring their ideas to market.

4. What are some successful examples of physicists turned entrepreneurs?

Some successful examples of physicists turned entrepreneurs include Elon Musk, founder of SpaceX and Tesla, and Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft. Both of these individuals used their knowledge of physics to develop groundbreaking technologies and build successful businesses.

5. What are the potential challenges for a physicist in entrepreneurship?

One potential challenge for a physicist in entrepreneurship is the transition from a scientific mindset to a business mindset. They may also face challenges in securing funding and managing the business aspects of their venture. Additionally, competition and market saturation can be obstacles for physicists trying to bring their ideas to market.