Physics 2, Three Infinite Straight Wires

In summary, three infinite straight wires are fixed in place and aligned parallel to the z-axis, with specific currents in different directions. To find the force on a one meter length of the wire carrying current I1, we need to use Biot-Savart's law to determine the magnetic field at its position and then use the magnetic force law equation to find the force. This can be done by calculating the contribution of I2 and I3 to the field at the position of I1.
nathancurtis11

Homework Statement

https://www.smartphysics.com/Content/smartPhysics/Media/Images/EM/14/h14_threewires.png

Three infinite straight wires are fixed in place and aligned parallel to the z-axis as shown. The wire at (x,y) = (-10 cm, 0) carries current I1 = 2.9 A in the negative z-direction. The wire at (x,y) = (10 cm, 0) carries current I2 = 1.2 A in the positive z-direction. The wire at (x,y) = (0, 17.3 cm) carries current I3 = 8.9 A in the positive z-direction.

What is Fx(1), the x-component of the force exerted on a one meter length of the wire carrying current I1?

What is Fy(1), the y-component of the force exerted on a one meter length of the wire carrying current I1

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart's Law: B=μoI/2∏r
Magnetic Force: F=ILxB
F=μoI1I2L/2∏r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost here I know I need to use Biot-Savart's law to determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at the wire that carries current I1, and then use the magnetic force law equation to determine the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the wire. However, I have no idea how to go through with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the field caused by I2 and I3 at the position of I1. etc.
Completetly lost ? Why ? Your plan is just fine.

1. What is the concept of "Physics 2, Three Infinite Straight Wires"?

The concept of "Physics 2, Three Infinite Straight Wires" refers to a problem in electromagnetism involving three infinitely long straight wires arranged in a triangular formation. This problem is used to demonstrate the application of the Biot-Savart Law, which describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire.

2. How do you calculate the magnetic field at a point due to three infinite straight wires?

The magnetic field at a point due to three infinite straight wires can be calculated using the Biot-Savart Law. This law states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current in the wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. By considering the contributions of each wire and using vector addition, the total magnetic field at the point can be determined.

3. What is the difference between "Physics 1, Two Infinite Straight Wires" and "Physics 2, Three Infinite Straight Wires"?

The main difference between these two problems is the number of wires involved. "Physics 1, Two Infinite Straight Wires" only involves two wires, while "Physics 2, Three Infinite Straight Wires" involves three wires. Additionally, the arrangement of the wires is different in each problem, which affects the calculations and solutions.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field change in "Physics 2, Three Infinite Straight Wires"?

In "Physics 2, Three Infinite Straight Wires", the direction of the magnetic field changes depending on the position of the point in relation to the three wires. This is because the magnetic field produced by each wire has a specific direction, and the total magnetic field at a point is the vector sum of these individual fields. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule.

5. What are some real-life applications of "Physics 2, Three Infinite Straight Wires"?

"Physics 2, Three Infinite Straight Wires" has various real-life applications, such as in the design and analysis of electronic devices, including motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the study of celestial bodies, such as the Earth's magnetic field and the magnetic fields of other planets. Additionally, this problem is useful in understanding various phenomena, such as the deflection of a compass needle and the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field.