Physics after engineering or engineering after physics?

In summary, the speaker is currently studying in the medical field but has lost interest and is considering switching to physics or engineering for their next undergraduate degree. They are being pressured to choose engineering for job prospects, but they are interested in both fields and are considering a double major. They are also wondering if they can switch to engineering for their masters program after studying physics or vice versa. The recommendation is to study physics first or simultaneously with engineering as every engineer should have a strong background in physics.
trina1990
i'm a extremely confused one in my field of study. . I'm currently studying in medical field as my undergrad and I'm to leave it now as i don't get further interest on medicine. . Now I've to take a major decision regarding my next undergrad choice, but I'm confused if i choose physics or engineering this purpose?

i would obviously like to take physics but my surrounding convince to take engineering as it offers better job purpose...i may also take double major here concerning physics & engineering but it may cost me much pressure...
now my question is if i can take physics as my undergrad & then convert to engineering for my masters program?
or vice versa?

& please also suggest me which one is better for a undergrad program?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommend physics first or concurrently with engineering. Every engineer should study physics.

1. What are the differences between studying physics after engineering and engineering after physics?

Studying physics after engineering typically involves pursuing a graduate degree in physics, while engineering after physics may involve pursuing a graduate degree in engineering. The focus of these degrees and the career paths they lead to may also differ, with physics typically focusing on theoretical and research-based work, while engineering focuses on practical application and design.

2. Can someone with an engineering degree pursue a career in physics?

Yes, with additional education and training, someone with an engineering degree can pursue a career in physics. They may need to complete a graduate degree in physics and gain experience in research and theoretical work to be competitive in the field.

3. Is it beneficial to have both engineering and physics knowledge?

Having knowledge in both engineering and physics can be beneficial, as it allows for a deeper understanding of how the physical world works and can lead to innovative solutions in engineering. However, it may require additional time and effort to gain expertise in both fields.

4. How do the job prospects differ for those with a degree in physics versus engineering?

The job prospects may differ for those with a degree in physics versus engineering. Physics graduates may have more opportunities in research and development positions, while engineering graduates may have more opportunities in industry and design. However, both fields offer a wide range of career options and opportunities for growth and advancement.

5. Is a degree in engineering or physics more challenging?

The level of difficulty in a degree varies depending on the individual and their strengths and interests. Some may find engineering to be more challenging due to its practical and problem-solving nature, while others may find physics to be more challenging due to its focus on theoretical concepts and mathematical equations. Ultimately, both fields require a strong understanding of science and mathematics and dedication to succeed.