1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Electrical Engineering Double Major?

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    Hello there and thank you for taking your time to read this. Well my problem is that I can't decide if I should double major or not. I am going to be an incoming freshman to college with my intended major being physics. I wanted to double major with EE because I find it to also be interesting and I wanted to learn new things in this field. I'm also interested in nanotechnology and thought that this combination would be helpful down the road, but I don't know how heavy the workload will be.( I know it will probably be a lot though .___. ) A concern of mine is that I won't be able to handle the workload and my GPA will drop considerably, but I'm willing to work my hardest. So basically, double major or not? Any help will be amazing, and thanks ^_^

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2
    I'm a double major in EE and physics, and I've taken tracks related to nano-electronics and communication systems with regards to my EE degree. Are you intending on going to graduate school? I ask because in that case I would say get a physics major and take the relevent EE coursework related to nanotechnology (get a minor in EE possibly) and then do a masters in EE, this is a lot less useless coursework (you won't need courses in controls, power, and communications if you want to do nanotech and fabrication) and is gonna be cheaper overall. The physics major with courses in quantum mechanics and modern physics and statistical thermodynamics is actually better prepared to do EE work in that area than a lot of EE's believe it or not. I think a course like a suggested will be kinder to your GPA as well. YMMV.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook