Choosing Physics or Electrical Engineering

In summary: I absolutely agree. There is a very large overlap in the undergraduate requirements I would be more interested in what that choice will mean in the near term for you. What you will be required to study and what subjects will be available as electives? What is the quality of the instruction? Are there opportunities for meaningful research and collaboration/internships. Talk to people (students and faculty) ...You are not alone! Feynman tried out his muscles in electrical engineering for a while before he jumped into physics. Dirac studied electrical engineering but switched to physics. There must be more...
J3J33J333
Hello,

I'm trying to decide between physics and electrical engineering. I like building electrical stuff, and I like solving physics problems, but my main goal is to try to build power systems that integrate things like what can be found in this paper https://arxiv.org/abs/1401.0520. I would major in EE, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to get the background to use that type of advanced physics in what I build I don't want to EE if it will take so much time that I'll never have time to try to build stuff that uses advanced materials and BOE's. I don't want to do physics if I'll never get to build things other than probing experiments.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you say how that paper may relate to building power systems? Thanks.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you say how that paper may relate to building power systems? Thanks.
I want to try to work on storing light as light. That paper is just one of the things i was trying to understand. I know it's hard because the light travels quickly and rapidly loses energy to heat. I've been looking at papers related to light trapping, but it's hard to understand them without the quantum and statistical mechanics background. The thing is though that I want to try to build stuff, too, and I'm afraid the physics degree, which would help me understand these papers, would make it harder to move into building stuff.

Last edited:
You might consider studying Lasers. In many ways they sit on the boundary between those two subjects, particularly in industry.

However, I'm a little confused about the "choosing" part of your question. My advice is to study what interests you, there can be quite a bit of overlap in these subjects. I don't believe which you choose for your major will matter much as you move on, it's what you studied and know that counts more.

DaveE said:
I don't believe which you choose for your major will matter much as you move on, it's what you studied and know that counts more.
I absolutely agree. There is a very large overlap in the undergraduate requirements I would be more interested in what that choice will mean in the near term for you. What you will be required to study and what subjects will be available as electives? What is the quality of of the instruction? Are there opportunities for meaningful research and collaboration/internships. Talk to people (students and faculty) ...

Likes DaveE and gwnorth
You are not alone! Feynman tried out his muscles in electrical engineering for a while before he jumped into physics. Dirac studied electrical engineering but switched to physics. There must be more...

Likes DeBangis21

1. What is the difference between physics and electrical engineering?

Physics is the study of the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It focuses on understanding concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and electromagnetism. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, is a more applied field that uses principles from physics to design, develop, and test electrical systems and devices.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both physics and electrical engineering have good job prospects, but the specific opportunities may vary depending on the industry and location. Physics graduates may find employment in research, teaching, or technology-related fields, while electrical engineering graduates can work in a variety of industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and electronics.

3. Is one field more challenging than the other?

Both physics and electrical engineering require a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on individual strengths and interests. Physics may be more challenging for those who prefer theoretical concepts, while electrical engineering may be more challenging for those who prefer hands-on applications.

4. Can I switch from one field to the other?

It is possible to switch from physics to electrical engineering or vice versa, but it may require additional coursework or training to bridge the gap between the two fields. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a switch.

5. Which field has a higher earning potential?

The earning potential in both physics and electrical engineering can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. Generally, electrical engineering tends to have higher starting salaries, but physics can lead to higher-paying positions in research and academia. Ultimately, the earning potential will depend on individual skills and career choices.