Physics and Engineering Undergraduate workload.

In summary, there is no clear answer to the question of which course, Physics or Engineering, has a higher workload in terms of hours. It ultimately depends on the individual's skill set and preferences. While Physics students may have more difficult material to revise, Engineering students have the additional workload of labs, reports, and projects. Both courses also have similar topics such as maths and circuit theory. However, Engineering may involve more design-oriented projects, which can be time-consuming. Overall, it is important for the individual to consider their strengths and interests when deciding which course to take.
OrangeMelon
Can anyone give a comparison of the workload's in terms of hours your likely to have as a Physics undergrad compared to an Engineering (EEE specifically) one? (UK university's incase it's country dependent)

I'm trying to decide which course to take and although I'm more interested in Physics, I'm leaning towards Engineering due to the employability prospects. (I want to work in finance but Engineering would be a secondary career if finance doesn't work out)

I think the deciding factor will be made upon knowing which course has the highest workload. As I know a lot of people overlook extra curriculars and I'd like to have a little time to play some sports etc. I've heard some people say that Physics contains harder material (more hours spent revising notes), but Engineering has all the labs, lab reports, group and individual projects which take up a lot of time and so it total's to a lot more work. Other people have said that Physics students also get all the other 'stuff' and have to work just as long as the Engineers.

So what's the truth, specifically in terms of bare-minimum hours of work (not including re-reading notes or the 2 extra hours you're meant to spend per hour of lecture time), just pure work, who has the harsher workload?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's almost impossible to answer, really. Physics students sometimes have just as many labs, and engineering work can be just as (if not more) conceptually difficult.

It depends on what your skill set is (you can only measure work load in terms of how fast you can work). It is true that, in general, you'd have more design-oriented projects in engineering, and those can be time-consuming.

axmls said:
That's almost impossible to answer, really. Physics students sometimes have just as many labs, and engineering work can be just as (if not more) conceptually difficult.

It depends on what your skill set is (you can only measure work load in terms of how fast you can work). It is true that, in general, you'd have more design-oriented projects in engineering, and those can be time-consuming.

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you mean. Though I know there's a fair amount of maths in both and topics like mechanics/circuit theory which will be around in both engineering and physics, so I'd imagine a lot of the skills are transferable. I enjoy working more on my own and doing calculation based work over researching existing products and writing reports which I know a lot of engineering is. Judging by the module summaries, I can already say which ones I'm looking forward too (maths, circuit theory) and which I'm going to hate (Product design, Electronics in Industry).

1. What is the typical workload for an undergraduate student majoring in physics or engineering?

The typical workload for an undergraduate student majoring in physics or engineering varies depending on the specific courses and institution, but it is generally around 15-18 credit hours per semester. This usually includes a mix of lectures, labs, and independent study time.

2. Is the workload for physics and engineering majors more rigorous than other majors?

Yes, the workload for physics and engineering majors is typically more rigorous than other majors. These fields require a strong foundation in mathematics and a significant amount of problem-solving and critical thinking, which can result in a heavier workload.

3. Are there any specific courses or topics that tend to have a heavier workload?

In general, upper-level courses in physics and engineering tend to have a heavier workload than lower-level courses, as they require a deeper understanding of complex concepts and may involve research projects or lab work. Additionally, courses that involve coding or computer simulations may require more time and effort.

4. How do students manage the workload in physics and engineering programs?

Students in physics and engineering programs often develop strong time management and study skills in order to effectively manage their workload. They may also seek support from professors, tutors, or study groups to better understand difficult concepts or complete assignments.

5. Can students expect a lighter workload during breaks or summer sessions?

It depends on the specific courses and institution. Some students may choose to take summer courses to lighten their workload during the regular academic year, while others may use breaks to catch up on studying or work on research projects. However, it is important for students to have a balance of rest and academic work during breaks to avoid burnout.