Physics and Forensics-Projectile Motion

In summary, Ballistics is the study of projectiles and how they move. It can be used in forensics to help determine the location where a gun was fired.
colourstrips
Is it possible to use the concepts of projectile motion and etc. in forensics while trying to find out the area from which a gun was fired.

How else do the concepts of projectile motion apply to forensics?
From my research, I came up with Blood Splatter, Ballistics and Auto Accident Recreation.

Does the word ballistics apply to projectile motion? How can I use projectile motion in forensics?

I appreciate the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

colourstrips said:
Does the word ballistics apply to projectile motion? How can I use projectile motion in forensics?

Hi colourstrips! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Ballistics is the study of projectiles, which are objects which travel through the air with no help other than an initial impulse (shove!)
Is it possible to use the concepts of projectile motion and etc. in forensics while trying to find out the area from which a gun was fired.

I'm just guessing, but judging from programmes like CSI, the distances are usually so short that you can assume the bullet travels in a straight line.

For much longer distances, you would need to know the speed of the bullet as it leaves the gun, which you should be able to get from manufacturer's data, or from testing the gun itself.
How else do the concepts of projectile motion apply to forensics?
From my research, I came up with Blood Splatter, Ballistics and Auto Accident Recreation.

Blood Spatter … no, that would be from experiments, not from theoretical calculation.

Auto Accident Recreation? Ballistic motion won't apply unless one of the vehicles becomes airborne! :wink:

Don't forget how far a body may fall from a building, whether pushed or slipped from a ledge.

And as to a car accident, with no seat belts ... or figuring where the little old lady's walker ended in a tree ...

Or how far from the bridge a gun used in a homicide may have landed in the water ...

Or shell casings ejected from a weapon ...

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion used in forensics?

Projectile motion is used in forensics to analyze the trajectory of bullets or other projectiles in order to determine the position of the shooter and the victim at the time of the shooting. It can also help determine the distance between the shooter and the victim.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the mass of the object, and air resistance. These factors can impact the distance, height, and speed of the projectile.

4. How does physics play a role in forensic investigations?

Physics plays a crucial role in forensic investigations as it helps to analyze and reconstruct various events such as car accidents, shootings, and other crimes. It also aids in understanding the trajectory of objects, the force of impacts, and the identification of potential suspects.

5. Can projectile motion be used to determine the time of death?

Projectile motion alone cannot determine the time of death, but it can provide valuable information when combined with other forensic evidence. For example, if the trajectory of a bullet is known, it can help determine the time of the shooting and potentially the time of death.