Physics and Mathematics syllabus

In summary: He suggests that you need to have a strong background in mathematics and physics to even begin to think about some of these things. You will need to take undergraduate level courses in mathematics and physics in order to be able to follow the more advanced material. You will also need to buy textbooks and study with a tutor.
ahmedhassan72
Please help!

Please ,now I am about to finish my high school in Egypt and here in Egypt the Physics and Mathematics syllabus is not so good- at least for me- and I am about to enter to the faculty of computer engineering if i score well at high school.I love maths and physics greatly although i can't enter their faculties as there are no vacancies here in Egypt for physicts and Mathematicians and they suffer unemployment so I want to learn physics and maths although there aren't enough opportunities for making expirements or getting help and things like that . I want to learn physics online or from available books online or affordable in my country not for passing exams but for adding the best of mine to the world of physics.Is that possible during my faculty study or it needs complete proficiency and how i can start as I found a lot forums and online books and tutorials and millions of subjects and I am completely puzzled .I want to participate in thinking about string theory ,m-theory, relativity,unifying forces and things like that but whenever i enter any pages about any of these subject i found that I must have had a lot of knowledge in Maths and other branches of physics so i couldn't even think freely in the subject and it's problems, so please any suggestions(What do i need ?,where to start?, is that possible during study and work?)??and thanks in advance...(I don't assume that I am the unknown physict that will solve the world's problems but as god is the creator of all minds so i think i can think...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ahmed -

MIT offers free online courses in many areas, including physics:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

well, what is your background in Math and Physics so far?

thanks for that great link but aren't there any supporting tutorials and videos and in what level i will be in physics if i finished all of these lectures in physics , and for my background I am nearly excellent in both in the school syllabus as I have taken 2 years calculus ,1 solid geometry ,1 mechanics, and all years in algebra and geometry and in physics I took heat,pressure,modern physics,electricity,sound,light (all are basics as the physics syllabus is only about 200 pages in all of that categories ,that's the physics syllabus in high school

ahmedhassan72 said:
I want to learn physics online or from available books online or affordable in my country not for passing exams but for adding the best of mine to the world of physics.

If you want to learn to the level you are talking about below, I would say that is probably not possible. There are simply not enough good physics resources online to do this. The MIT courses linked previously are probably your best bet, but as you found out you'll still need to get books.

I want to participate in thinking about string theory ,m-theory, relativity,unifying forces and things like that but whenever i enter any pages about any of these subject i found that I must have had a lot of knowledge in Maths and other branches of physics so i couldn't even think freely in the subject and it's problems, so please any suggestions(What do i need ?,where to start?, is that possible during study and work?)

The things you are talking about are advanced graduate level topics (well, maybe not relativity). To start, you might look at a university physics department webpage and see what courses an undergraduate physics major is required to take and go from there. But again, you will need textbooks.

Ok i understood, i know that i will use books but what books i can find millions of books here and there but you told me to start from undergraduate studies ok that's good and i can also buy books and i can go to alexandria bibliotheque here and it is from the best libraries in the world but please can that be done during university study and work and please is MIT the best online resource for physics if so what books i will need to get started also to what level i have to learn maths and calculus to get in any subject in physics?

Last edited:

1. What topics are typically covered in a Physics and Mathematics syllabus?

A Physics and Mathematics syllabus typically covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, calculus, algebra, and geometry. It may also include topics in modern physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. Is there a recommended order in which to study the topics in a Physics and Mathematics syllabus?

Yes, it is recommended to study the topics in the order they are presented in the syllabus. This is because many concepts build upon each other and it is important to have a solid understanding of the basics before moving on to more complex topics.

3. How much math is involved in a Physics and Mathematics syllabus?

A significant amount of math is involved in a Physics and Mathematics syllabus. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus, as these are used extensively in solving physics problems. Geometry is also used in some topics, such as optics. Some topics may also require knowledge of trigonometry and statistics.

4. Are there any recommended resources or textbooks for studying Physics and Mathematics?

There are many recommended resources and textbooks for studying Physics and Mathematics. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Geometry" by Michael Serra. It is also helpful to consult with your instructor or peers for additional recommendations.

5. How can I prepare for exams in a Physics and Mathematics class?

To prepare for exams in a Physics and Mathematics class, it is important to review your class notes, textbook readings, and practice problems. It may also be helpful to work on sample exams or practice problems from previous exams. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending review sessions can also aid in exam preparation.