Migrating from physics to mathematics

In summary, it is common in some countries for people to migrate from physics to pure mathematics, as demonstrated by two mathematics professors with PhDs in physics at a federal university. To work as a professor at this university, one needs to have extensive knowledge in their field, and these professors dominate in mathematics despite their background in physics. It has also been noted that a member of the PF community has made a similar transition. However, this may vary depending on the university and the overlap between physics and mathematics in different fields of study.
kent davidge
Is it usual people in your country migrating from physics to pure mathematics? I study in a federal university and two of my mathematics professors have a phd in physics and nowadays teach (and do research) mathematics at the uni.

To work as a professor at this uni one needs to have a huge knowledge on the field. So that means those two professors dominate the mathematics despite having a phd in physics.

Also, it seems that a PF member (Mattias) has also done that as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
Also, it seems that a PF member (Mattias) has also done that as well.
It is not clear to me if this refers to me or not. Regardless, I am not teaching any pure mathematics courses. I teach at a physics department and the course that I taught and inspired me to start writing my book is really a course about applying maths to do physics, as is the book itself, and thus not your regular pure mathematics course. It is about the mathematics and its application to physics.

That being said, how mathematics are taught, in particular to non-mathematics students (e.g., to physics students) depends a lot on the university. At my university, the mathematics department is generally in charge of all mathematics courses, but there are also universities where physics programs will be taught almost exclusively by physicists - including the math courses. Also, it is not so much what your PhD says as what kind of knowledge you posses. The line between many of the more theoretical branches of physics and mathematics is often very blurred so it would not be very strange for someone with a degree in physics to pursue a career in a mathematics department - again, depending on the field of study.

FAQ: Migrating from physics to mathematics

1. What are the main differences between physics and mathematics?

Physics is a natural science that involves the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while mathematics is a formal science that deals with abstract concepts such as numbers, quantities, and structures. In physics, the focus is on understanding the physical world and making predictions using mathematical models, while in mathematics, the focus is on exploring and proving abstract concepts and relationships.

2. Can a background in physics be helpful in pursuing a career in mathematics?

Yes, a background in physics can be very beneficial in pursuing a career in mathematics. Many concepts and techniques used in physics, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, are also essential in mathematics. Additionally, the problem-solving skills and critical thinking developed in physics can be applied to solving mathematical problems.

3. What challenges may one face when transitioning from physics to mathematics?

One of the main challenges when transitioning from physics to mathematics is the shift from concrete and applied concepts to more abstract and theoretical ones. This may require developing a new way of thinking and approaching problems. Additionally, mathematics often involves more rigorous proofs and a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, which may take some time to grasp for someone coming from a physics background.

4. Are there any specific areas of mathematics that may be easier for someone with a physics background?

Yes, someone with a physics background may find it easier to transition into applied mathematics, such as mathematical physics or computational mathematics. These areas often involve the use of mathematical tools and techniques to solve real-world problems, which may be more familiar to someone with a physics background.

5. What advice would you give to someone considering a transition from physics to mathematics?

I would suggest taking some introductory courses in mathematics to get a feel for the subject and see if it interests you. It is also essential to brush up on fundamental mathematical concepts, such as algebra and calculus, before making the transition. Additionally, seeking guidance from professors or professionals in the field can provide valuable insights and advice on the best path to take.