1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Maths Terminology

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    Hello. First, I'd like to make it clear, I am an IGCSE student who has just finished his board examinations, and is now getting ready to do is AS/A2 levels before pursuing engineering.

I'm trying to do some studying on my own, outside for school, particularly in the fields of Maths and Physics as I want to give an entrance exam for IIT in 2 years, and wish to get into a prestigious college as well as making my studying life in future years a bit easier.

But there is a problem I am encountering when I attempt to study the CBSE style or any other style for Physics and Maths.

I don't understand a bloody thing.

And it's not because I don't get what these books are trying to teach, it is because I just don't get the terminology and the symbols they use. I looked at one tutorial guide here (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=72040), and didn't understand any equation he wrote there! For example, what does that weird F and the small e mean? What's with the arrows? What is x supposed to stand for? What about the capital A?

I'll admit that was maybe a bit too advanced a topic for me, but I still encounter that problem when studying basic CBSE physics, especially when it comes to Logorithms. I have no clue what they are!

I'm currently studying trigonometry from scratch CBSE style, in order to understand how they do it so I can proceed with Complex Numbers. The revision book I'm reading from has Complex Numbers ahead of Logorithms, so I think I need to study that before I move onto Logs, but I really have no idea.

So could any helpful (and smart) soul please help me out with like a basic introduction into what all these symbols stand for, and into the workings of stuff like Logorithms and anything else I should know?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted