Physics and Maths v/s Biology content in Biophysics

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's plan to switch from a Master's degree in Physics to Biophysics and the potential obstacles they may face. They express concern about their lack of experimental experience and limited knowledge of biology, as well as their preference for a bottom-up approach to understanding physical concepts. The speaker provides insight on the different approaches in biophysics and the importance of interdisciplinary teams. They also mention the use of computer models in research and the involvement of chemistry in the field.
Aniket1
I have a Master's degree in Physics and am planning to switch over to Biophysics and wish to know a but about the field in general in terms of the following aspects.
I've had a few internships on Biophysics in the past and have loved working in this field. However, I have absolutely no experimental experience. I also do not have a solid foundation of biological concepts in terms of formal courses in my university (I only did one introductory course on Biotechnology). Would this affect me as a researcher in this field in the future?
I love solving problems in Mathematics and Physics and developing an understanding of physical concepts through a bottom-up approach. On the contrary, with my experience in Biophysics, I have a feeling that biophysics has a top-down approach based on observations on experience and different than physics in that aspect (please correct me if I'm wrong). Although I do like learning about biological systems, I feel that this difference of approach would be an obstacle for me in doing research as a biophysicist and may eventually lead me into disliking the subject. Is this a valid assumption? Are there any discoveries in Biophysics that have been made based on theoretical research and later confirmed through experiments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Biophysics is a very interdisciplinary field with very different approaches taken by research groups.

There is 100% experimental biophysics. There is 100% theoretical biophysics. It can be top down or bottoms up. It is correct to say that most is top down, as a lot of bottoms up stuff would usually be considered physical chemistry. It can be done by teams of biologists or chemists. Or it can be done by teams of physicists and mathematicians. Or a mix.

In some groups the biological aspects are very important and you need a lot of mol. bio and biochemstry skills. If you need a big repertoire of them and you need to have the right insight on which one to use, then a more biological can be helpful. But if you just need to execute a certain protocol, you can just learn that technique and become competent, without having to learn everything else.

There's few people trained as pure biophysicists since their BSc degree. For a good team you need people with different backgrounds. If it was just biologists and a lost chemist, it wouldn't be called biophysics.

There is lots of research where computer models are being build. For metabolic networks, for actin or microtubuli assembly, for soft matter, for pharmakinetics, etc. I am sure you can google and find research groups on biophysics, and see what they do.
Usually it makes sense for a project to have both an experimental and theoretical element. Sometimes the same person does the same research, at other times, different people do different work on the project.

And let's not forget about the chemistry involved.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between physics and mathematics content in biophysics?

Physics content in biophysics refers to the application of principles and laws of physics to the study of biological systems. This includes concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity. Mathematics content in biophysics, on the other hand, involves the use of mathematical models and equations to understand and analyze biological processes.

2. Is a strong background in physics and maths necessary for studying biophysics?

Yes, a strong foundation in physics and mathematics is essential for understanding biophysics. Many of the concepts and techniques used in biophysics are based on principles from these fields. Without a good grasp of physics and maths, it can be challenging to comprehend the complex mechanisms and phenomena that occur in living organisms.

3. How does biophysics use physics and maths to study biological systems?

Biophysics uses the principles and tools of physics and mathematics to analyze and explain the behavior of living organisms. For example, physicists use their knowledge of forces and motion to study the movement of cells and molecules, while mathematicians use equations to model the behavior of biological systems.

4. Can one field be prioritized over the other in biophysics?

No, both physics and mathematics are equally important in biophysics. Each discipline brings its unique perspective and tools to the study of biological systems. A combination of physics and maths allows for a more comprehensive understanding of complex biological processes.

5. What are some career options for those interested in biophysics?

Biophysics is a rapidly growing field with a wide range of career opportunities. Some options include research positions in academia or in the biotechnology industry, teaching, and data analysis in healthcare or pharmaceutical companies. Biophysicists can also work in fields such as medical imaging, drug development, and biotechnology consulting.