Physics Assistant position (radiation physics department)

In summary, the HR representative will likely ask general questions about you and your history to gauge whether or not they think you would be a good fit with the hospital itself. They might want to know whether or not you are familiar with the area you will be working in, how long of a work commitment you think you could make to the hospital, and they might ask what level of pay you are expecting. The other people you will be interviewing with will almost certainly be a few medical physicists, and those are the people you will primarily be assisting as your job. They may ask about your past experience in radiation oncology or medical physics (if you have any, though it may not be important as they will probably be fully training whoever they hire).
Shackleford
I have an interview with HR next Wednesday. After that, I'm supposed to meet with a few people in the department. I was told it would take about three hours. How should I prepare?

I just graduated in May with a B.S. Math, Physics Minor.

Here's the job description.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/PhysicsAssistant.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well first of all, congratulations on the job interview.

The HR representatives will probably be mostly interested in discussing things such as the history and future direction of the hospital itself, the radiation oncology department you will be working in, the mission of the hospital, and maybe the work benefits (among other things). They will probably ask general questions about you and your history to gauge whether or not they think you would be a good fit with the hospital itself. They might want to know whether or not you are familiar with the area you will be working in, how long of a work commitment you think you could make to the hospital, and they might ask what level of pay you are expecting. Personally, I would not bring up money unless they ask you first.

The other people you will be interviewing with will almost certainly be a few medical physicists, and those are the people you will primarily be assisting as your job. They may ask about your past experience in radiation oncology or medical physics (if you have any, though it may not be important as they will probably be fully training whoever they hire). From the job description, it sounds like mostly quality assurance work on linear accelerators and other equipment with some potential patient dosimetry measurements.

If you want to do some reading, you might look at the following:

AAPM -- What do Medical Physicists do?

Linear Accelerators

Medical Physics Quality Assurance -- contains several references and sample QA forms, stick to the "external beam" section and ask any questions you have

Radiation Therapy for Cancer -- an overview of the radiotherapy process

Do you have a basic understanding of how radiation can be quantitatively measured? You will be using tools such as ionization chambers, thermoluminescent dosimeters, solid state detectors, electrometers, and radiographic film / radiochromic film .

Are you familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, MATLAB? You will certainly be using the first two, and maybe the third.

I wouldn't overwhelm yourself with details, but it couldn't hurt to know a little about what the field of medical physics is about, what a medical linear accelerator is and how we assure that they are operating safely. Knowledge of the existence of those above tools, how they work and what they are used for would also be helpful.

If you have any specific questions then please ask.

Last edited:
You're right. Last week, I had a phone interview with the lead Physics Assistant. He said 99% of the work would be QA. I have written down "patient plan QA." I don't have any experience. The listing says no experience is required. I found the following document and I've started reading it. I'll also get my modern physics textbook out and review the pertinent chapters.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/334361/Basic-Physics-of-Nuclear-Medicine [Broken]

I've been working as a project engineer for the past nearly four years so I'm intimately familiar with Microsoft Office. Heh. I used MATLAB like twice in my ODE class three years ago.

Well, you've given me a lot to digest, so I'll get to it. Thanks for the information!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the role of a Physics Assistant in a radiation physics department?

A Physics Assistant in a radiation physics department assists in conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and maintaining equipment related to the study and use of radiation. They also assist in the development and implementation of safety protocols and procedures.

2. What qualifications are required for a Physics Assistant position in a radiation physics department?

Typically, a Physics Assistant position in a radiation physics department requires a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some positions may also require previous laboratory experience or knowledge of radiation safety protocols.

3. What types of tasks will a Physics Assistant be responsible for in a radiation physics department?

A Physics Assistant may be responsible for setting up and calibrating equipment, conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and maintaining laboratory records. They may also assist in literature reviews and research projects related to radiation physics.

4. What skills are important for a Physics Assistant to have in a radiation physics department?

A Physics Assistant should have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Attention to detail, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills are also important in this role. Knowledge of computer software used in data analysis and laboratory equipment is also beneficial.

5. What career opportunities are available for Physics Assistants in a radiation physics department?

With experience and further education, Physics Assistants in a radiation physics department can advance to positions such as Radiation Physicist, Medical Physicist, or Research Scientist. They may also have opportunities for teaching positions or to work in other areas of physics, such as nuclear physics or astrophysics.