Physics-based independent Study Ideas?

In summary, these are some options for studying physics that would be accessible and fun for someone with a background in calculus, differential equations, and mechanics.
flyinjoe
Hello, I am currently in high school and I recently got the opportunity to do an independent study with one of my teachers and I am struggling to come up with what to study. I have taken calculus 1, 2, and 3, differential equations (with a bit of linear algebra), and calculus-based mechanics and E&M.
I would ideally like to do something physics-based, but I am open to all ideas. I am leaning toward relativity, but I am not sure I would be able to actually do anything with that except learn straight out of the book (most independent study students end up writing a paper).

Do you have any suggestions for topic I should study? What kind of work could I do with what I will learn?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't you be having this discussion with your teacher?

Zz.

Well I did, and he told me to come back with what I wanted to study (he's pretty busy).

Here are some options which might be fun to study and should be within reach given your background. They are also very important topics if you choose to pursue physics.

1. Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics. This is the foundation for pretty much all of modern physics.

2. Special Relativity. A very interesting topic that can be learned with very little background.

3. Complex Analysis. A course of a more applied nature should be accessible. Again, this is a very fun topic that is also useful in physics.

4. Abstract Linear Algebra (focusing on inner products). I've seen way too many physics people who don't understand the fairly simple formalism behind linear algebra and inner product spaces. Understanding of these concepts is crucial for physics, such as quantum mechanics. Doing such a study on your own may be difficult though, since it would require some "mathematical maturity".

You should approach it as follows: Select a book (or books) after some discussion with your teacher which will be at the correct level. Choose some chapters to study (make sure this is a reasonable amount). Go through them very carefully, working through examples and derivations. Do a few problems. This should give you enough material to discuss with your teacher every week. The paper written at the end of most independent studies is usually expository, so after studying these things you can write a short paper maybe summarizing what you learned.

Thanks for the excellent information!

1. What is physics-based independent study?

Physics-based independent study refers to the process of conducting research and learning about physics concepts on one's own, without the guidance or structure of a formal class or instructor. It allows individuals to explore areas of physics that interest them in depth and at their own pace.

2. How can I come up with ideas for physics-based independent study?

There are many ways to generate ideas for physics-based independent study. You could start by thinking about topics or concepts that you find intriguing or challenging, or by exploring current research in the field. You could also talk to professors or other experts for suggestions or browse through physics textbooks and journals for inspiration.

3. What are some examples of physics-based independent study projects?

Some examples of physics-based independent study projects include building and experimenting with simple machines, conducting research on a specific aspect of quantum mechanics, or designing and testing a new technology or device related to physics.

4. How can I ensure the success of my physics-based independent study project?

To ensure the success of your physics-based independent study project, it is important to set clear goals and objectives, create a realistic timeline, and stay organized throughout the process. It is also helpful to seek feedback and guidance from experts in the field and to stay motivated and dedicated to your project.

5. What are the benefits of physics-based independent study?

There are many benefits to engaging in physics-based independent study, including the opportunity to deepen your understanding of physics concepts, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and gain experience in conducting research and working independently. It can also be a valuable addition to your resume or academic portfolio.