1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent Study: MIT OCW-Based Relativity/ Special Relativity

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1
    Hi, I am a Junior in high school and if I can, I would like to do Independent Study next year based on either the OCW for 8.20 - Intro to Special Relativity or 8.033 - Relativity. I wanted to know if they most likely would be possible for me, if I would need to learn more math for them, and which one I should take and the difficulty of each math-wise. The textbooks they both use are A.P. French's Special Relativity and also Resnick's Intro to Special Relativity. Just to give you an idea of my academic level (and math level), I will list the college and AP courses I've taken/taking that are related to science/engineering/math.

• AP Chemistry - AP Score: 5
    • AP Physics C (Class will cover both exams) - Currently taking (have A in class)
    • Calculus 1 - A
    • Calculus 2 - A-
    • Calculus 3 (Multivariable) - A
    • Differential Equations - Currently Taking
    • Engineering Materials - A (and currently taking lab for it)
    • Statics - Currently Taking
    • Physical Chemistry 1 + Lab (Just covers Thermo)- Currently Taking
    • Organic Chemistry 1 - A-

Also, I will be, if I can be taking Linear Algebra and Number Theory with Cryptography (depending if I get accepted into the summer program or not).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2014 #2
    AP Physics C isnt perfectly equivalent to college calc. You should over the prereqs 8.01/8.012 8.02/8.022 first

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3
    Go for it, A.P. French's Special Relativity was the recommended text for my first course in special relativity, and I remember it as being very clear & straightforward.

5. Feb 10, 2014 #4
    Okay thanks, do I have enough math? And will I need linear algebra?

6. Feb 11, 2014 #5
    Yeah, you have enough math. As you've aced calculus 3, this book will seem like a walk in the park.

7. Feb 11, 2014 #6
    Okay, thank you. One last thing, my school won't end up letting me do independent study for it afterall, so if I don't start soon, I doubt I'll get around to it next year (except maybe summer), anyways do I need E&M for it or can I safely start while my AP Physics is just starting E&M?

8. Feb 11, 2014 #7
    Dig around on the MIT site and you'll usually find prerequisites listed, and we find:

"8.20 is open to all MIT students who have completed or placed out of 8.01 (Physics I - Classical Mechanics) and 18.01 (Calculus I). Anyone in the MIT community who is familiar with elementary mechanics and who has a good knowledge of algebra (and a little knowledge of calculus) will find the course accessible."

Your school doesn't get to say what you can do for *truly* independent study. Be a rebel, do it anyway, you will not regret it. It would make a good summer project, this is as near as a physics textbook gets to a beach novel.

9. Feb 12, 2014 #8
    Okay, will do, I just wanted to make sure I'd be fine without E&M. Just so you know, it's more out of interest than anything else, as it will have almost no application to what I want to go into, chemical engineering. Anyways, thank you fr your help, I will work on it the soonest I can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook