Physics behind magnetic security gates?

In summary, a library uses a motor effect to vibrate the gates so that you can't remove books without permission.
Jimmy4455
Hello, I recently walked through the gates of my local library with my hard drive magnets clipped onto my fingers, and I noticed that they were vibrating. I've been looking on the internet and I also found radio-frequency identification systems. Could someone please explain the physics behind these systems? Is it due to the motor effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the bit by the door that detects when you try to remove a book from the library without permission?
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/rfid.html

I don't know what you mean by "motor effect" - it works by unducig a current in the tag, which, in turn, produces it's own radio signal, which is picked up by a radio reciever. Ever used a crystal radio set?

Jimmy4455 said:
Hello, I recently walked through the gates of my local library with my hard drive magnets clipped onto my fingers, and I noticed that they were vibrating. I've been looking on the internet and I also found radio-frequency identification systems. Could someone please explain the physics behind these systems? Is it due to the motor effect?
That's a bit bizarre! Whatever were you doing that for? A bet?
Radio frequency waves have a much high frequency than you can detect directly (of course) but there may have been some regular pulsing of the current (mains frequency, perhaps) in the frame which would produce a varying force on the magnets (motor effect). I find it surprising, though, that such high power levels would be needed for a simple close-up monitoring system. You could do a simple test, using the mains lead to a high current appliance like a heater. If you could separate the L and N conductors, you could see if a magnet placed near to just one of them, gives you the same sensation. You would need to do this carefully, of course and reinstate the cable afterwards. Health and safety rules, as usual.

1. What is the basic principle behind magnetic security gates?

Magnetic security gates work on the principle of electromagnetic induction. This means that when a conductive material, such as a metal object, passes through the gate, it disrupts the magnetic field produced by the gate, triggering an alarm.

2. How do magnetic security gates detect metal objects?

Magnetic security gates use sensors, such as magnetometers or metal detectors, to detect changes in the magnetic field caused by the presence of metal objects. When a metal object passes through the gate, it creates a disturbance in the magnetic field, which is detected by the sensors.

3. What types of metals can be detected by magnetic security gates?

Magnetic security gates can detect all types of metals, including ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, and diamagnetic metals. This means that they can detect everything from iron and steel to aluminum and copper.

4. How do magnetic security gates prevent false alarms?

Most magnetic security gates are equipped with advanced technology that can distinguish between different types of metal objects. This helps prevent false alarms caused by harmless objects, such as coins or keys, passing through the gate.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using magnetic security gates?

When used properly, magnetic security gates are safe for both individuals passing through and the surrounding environment. However, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and avoid bringing sensitive medical devices, such as pacemakers, near the gates as they may be affected by the magnetic field.