Physics Behind Time Loops In Movies?

In summary: There is no mechanism to explain how the time loop works. Its just used as an interesting story device.In summary, time loops are used as a story device in movies like Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow, but there is no physical explanation for how they work.
TheQuestionGuy14
I was just wondering if there is any physics behind the time loops in the movies Groundhog Day or Edge of Tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is no. There's no mechanism to explain how the time loop works. Its just used as an interesting story device.

When talking about time loops, the closest movie might be Interstellar where the astronauts experience time dilation while working near a black hole.

Likes infinitebubble
I believe the only known mechanism to alter Time, is gravity. so if you had a situation where time was so distorted that it bent back on itself, then you would also be in the presence of a gravity well so enormous that time looping would be the least of your worries.

DHF said:
I believe the only known mechanism to alter Time, is gravity. so if you had a situation where time was so distorted that it bent back on itself, then you would also be in the presence of a gravity well so enormous that time looping would be the least of your worries.
Gravity cannot cause time looping. As Jedishrfu already pointed out, it can cause differential aging, that's all.

Likes CalcNerd and jedishrfu
DHF said:
I believe the only known mechanism to alter Time, is gravity.
To be completely clear, gravity does NOT "alter time", it simply provides an alternate path through space-time which results in differential aging. Clocks always tick locally at one second per second.

phinds said:
To be completely clear, gravity does NOT "alter time", it simply provides an alternate path through space-time which results in differential aging. Clocks always tick locally at one second per second.
Thank you for the clarification.

The reason so many people (me included) love sci-fi stories with time loops is the imagination. It is fun! A modern way to tell fairy tales. Nobody of today is really afraid of mean wolves, but the implications of the grandfather paradox are funny. And once you have a contradiction in your system, you can justify everything, which gets the story teller even more freedoms and us watchers or readers more fun.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
I was just wondering if there is any physics behind the time loops in the movies Groundhog Day or Edge of Tomorrow.

Yes, there is. At what level do you want an answer?

Likes jedishrfu
George Jones said:
Yes, there is. At what level do you want an answer?
What do you mean by level? Also, are you talking about Closed Timelike Curves? I've heard of those recently.

Yes, I mean closed timelike curves.

By "level", I mean "What background in physics and math do you have?" It is okay if you don't have any background in physics and math, but I will try to write a detailed answer with your background in mind. This might not happen today.

Likes jedishrfu
George Jones said:
Yes, I mean closed timelike curves.

By "level", I mean "What background in physics and math do you have?" It is okay if you don't have any background in physics and math, but I will try to write a detailed answer with your background in mind. This might not happen today.
I have a basic background. I studied General Relativity and touched a little on CTCs, I'd like to hear your detailed answer though. :wink:

1. What is the basis for time loops in movies?

Time loops in movies are based on the concept of a closed time-like curve, which is a hypothetical scenario where an object or person travels back in time and interacts with their past self. This creates a loop in time where events are repeated over and over again.

2. How is the concept of time travel explained in movies with time loops?

In most movies with time loops, the concept of time travel is explained using either scientific theories or supernatural explanations. Some movies use concepts from quantum mechanics, such as parallel universes or the multiverse theory, while others use supernatural elements like magic or curses.

3. Can time loops really happen in real life?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of time loops in real life. The laws of physics, as we understand them, do not allow for closed time-like curves to occur. However, the concept of time travel is still a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists.

4. Why do characters in time loop movies experience deja vu?

In time loop movies, characters often experience a sense of deja vu when they encounter events or situations that they have already experienced before. This is because their memories are retained from previous loops, creating a sense of repetition and familiarity.

5. How do time loops affect the laws of physics in movies?

Time loops in movies often involve altering the laws of physics, such as the concept of cause and effect. Characters may be able to change the outcome of events by going back in time and making different choices. However, these alterations can also have unintended consequences, creating paradoxes and disrupting the natural flow of time.