Physics BS to engineering MS/phD

In summary, many individuals with a BS in physics have switched to engineering for their MS or Ph.D. degrees. Some were initially interested in engineering and took classes in the field, while others worked in industry before deciding to pursue engineering. The decision to switch to a specific field of engineering (EE, ME, materials) varies, with some programs offering a blend of physics and engineering. While some may argue that physics students may have an edge in graduate programs, others believe that engineering students may have an advantage due to their prior coursework. However, some individuals with a physics background have successfully completed engineering degrees with no prior engineering coursework.
creepypasta13
has anyone here gotten their BS in physics, but then decide to get a MS or phD in engineering? What made you decide to switch to engineering: taking engineering classes and liking them, or working in industry full-time for a few years and then deciding to go into engineering? How did you decide what field of engineering to choose (EE, ME, materials, etc)?

as far as taking engineering classes to see if grad school in engineering is the right choice, I've heard various opinions, as some said its a good idea while others said its just a waste of time such that you're better off just sitting in the lectures or reading about engineering research areas

Physics news on Phys.org
I switched in the middle of a BS program in physics (nuclear and astrophysics) to nuclear engineering, although in hindsight, I should have double-majored in physics and nuclear engineering. I was interested in nuclear energy since the 5th grade, and that was cemented when I designed a nuclear power aircraft as a science project in 6th grade.

Engineering is applied physics. In the nuclear engineering program, as an undergraduate and graduate, I took courses in mechanical engineering (corrosion, fracture mechanics, fluids and turbomachinery), materials, aerospace and electrical engineering (circuits, electric machinery, power systems, control theory).

I was going to make a similar post, but instead, I'll piggyback off of creepypasta here. In addition to the more "normal" engineering grad programs, what are your guys' thoughts on an Applied Physics or Engineering Physics grad program?

Most engineering programs I've looked into require a "BS in engineering, or a closely related field," so they're really looking for engineering students, not physics students as much, at least from what I understand. Maybe this thread will prove me wrong.

On the other hand, a few programs offer kind of a physics/engineering blend.

For example, Cornell has http://www.aep.cornell.edu/ which has a Masters of Engineering in Engineering Physics and Ph.D. program in Applied Physics through their Engineering Physics department.

Also, Embry Riddle just came out with a Ph.D. program in Engineering Physics which starts in 2010. http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/phd-engineeringphysics.html

These majors specifically state that they accept physics BS degrees. The programs seem to give an engineering slant to physics knowledge.

On one hand, these might be a good suggestion for creepypasta to look into. On the other hand, my fear is engineering (or applied) physics masters or Ph.D. will be stuck somewhere in between the worlds of engineering and science. I'd hate to be in a situation where I'm not quite qualified to be an engineer, but also not quite qualified to be a physicist.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack21222 said:
Most engineering programs I've looked into require a "BS in engineering, or a closely related field," so they're really looking for engineering students, not physics students as much, at least from what I understand. Maybe this thread will prove me wrong.

i think physics students have just as good a chance as engineering students

creepypasta13 said:
i think physics students have just as good a chance as engineering students

Well, we'll see what people with more experience have to say. The problem is, physics students would have to spend some time catching up on undergrad engineering courses before they can really do the graduate work, from what I understand. It seems to me that would give the engineering students an edge.

But again, I may be proven wrong in this thread.

I had a physics BS... then completed a masters degree in electro-optical engineering -- which was offered through "The School of Engineering" and had faculty from electrical engineering and physics faculty (from "the College of Arts and Sciences"). I didn't have any problems.

What was my motivation? My employer at the time (the USAF) offered to pay for the degree. I had no problems (4.0 GPA).

physics girl phd said:
I had a physics BS... then completed a masters degree in electro-optical engineering -- which was offered through "The School of Engineering" and had faculty from electrical engineering and physics faculty (from "the College of Arts and Sciences"). I didn't have any problems.

What was my motivation? My employer at the time (the USAF) offered to pay for the degree. I had no problems (4.0 GPA).

so before USAP offered to pay, you had taken no classes in engineering?

What is the difference between a Physics BS and engineering MS/PhD?

A Physics BS degree focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics, while an engineering MS/PhD degree focuses on the practical application of those principles in various engineering fields.

Can I pursue an engineering MS/PhD degree with a Physics BS background?

Yes, many universities offer engineering MS/PhD programs specifically for students with a physics background. However, you may need to take additional courses or have relevant experience to meet the requirements for the program.

What engineering fields can I specialize in with a Physics BS to engineering MS/PhD?

With a Physics BS to engineering MS/PhD, you can specialize in a variety of engineering fields such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, aerospace engineering, and more.

How long does it typically take to complete an engineering MS/PhD program with a Physics BS background?

The duration of an engineering MS/PhD program varies depending on the university and the specific program. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete an MS degree and an additional 3-5 years to complete a PhD degree.

What career opportunities are available with a Physics BS to engineering MS/PhD?

A Physics BS to engineering MS/PhD can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, electronics, telecommunications, and more. You can also pursue a career in research and development or academia with this educational background.