Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics competition between two geniuses!

1. Sir Isaac Newton.

34 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. Leonardo da Vinci.

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    Who is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2
    I think there is very little question that Newton was orders of magnitude smarter than Da Vinci.

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I give up. Who?

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4
    Neither. They are equally disengaged.

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    I have decided that Newton dominates da Vinci at physics.

Phrak, think about it. Newton is a physics genius, and da Vinci is nowhere the level of Newton's genius.

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6
    So how many physical laws does Da Vinci have named after him?

I rest my case.

8. Sep 28, 2009 #7
    Topher925, da Vinci might have worked on a little bit of physics too back in Renaissance times, but his work is no where near Newton's physical laws. So, you agree with me that Newton is better at physics, right? :wink:

9. Sep 28, 2009 #8

Monocerotis

Gold Member

No contest

Newton

This is like Brock Lesnar fighting BJ Penn.

10. Sep 28, 2009 #9
  11. Sep 29, 2009 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

12. Sep 29, 2009 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How can you compare these two men? They are separated by several generations, with the likes of Galileo coming in between. Much of what a single man can do is determined by what has been done before. Newton had the benefit of reading about the life and methods of both Galileo and DaVinci. This was the beginning of the continual piling up of knowledge. The result of this is that we can learn the life works on any of these men in a few months of study.

One "smarter" then the other? We can not meaningfully measure the intelligence of people currently living, how can you possibly compare the intelligences of men long dead?

13. Sep 29, 2009 #12
    Integral, I don't have any clue why in the world some people reply to a topic such as "Can't compare . . . blahblahblah and why why why". Why is this so common???

The thread was about who's smarter at physics, and the fact is that Newton is the smarter one for physics than da Vinci. Admit it.

14. Sep 29, 2009 #13
    i think da vinci worked with lunes lunes in geometry...

...search search.... aha:
    http://www.hypatiamaze.org/leonardo/leo_lune.html [Broken]
    http://www.hypatiamaze.org/leonardo/leo_lune2.html [Broken]

other than that stuff he didn't do much in math & i doubt he did anything like what newton did

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Sep 29, 2009 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Could Newton paint?

I don't remember DaVinci ever trying to pass himself off as a physicist. Dumb poll, IMHO.

16. Sep 30, 2009 #15
    This is off topic but "da Vinci" wasn't Leonardo's last name, da Vinci is added to the end of his name because he was from the Italian town of Vinci. Calling Leonardo da Vinci by "da Vinci" is like calling Archimedes of Syracuse by "of Syracuse."

17. Sep 30, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

To the OP: You are comparing a top-notch theoretician to a top-notch inventor, engineer, and artisan. I know who I'd rather have designing the fortifications of my city.

Who is more talented? Stephen Hawking or Tiger Woods. Pick one.

18. Sep 30, 2009 #17

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Neither, Archimedes is the smartest.

19. Sep 30, 2009 #18
    Hmmm

20. Oct 1, 2009 #19
    I think a better poll would have put Isaac Newton up against someone WHO WAS ACTUALLY A PHYSICIST...

21. Oct 1, 2009 #20
    This is like asking Einstein Vs. Edison

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook