1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Education Research Postdoc

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    Hello all!

I'm getting my PhD in theoretical cosmology in August and I'm trying to figure out the intersection between what I WANT to do and what I CAN do.

Does anyone know much about Physics Education Research? I find education fascinating and I'm seriously considering applying to some great high school physics teacher positions.

However, I don't want to jump head first into that realm without first considering other options.

How marketable would I be in applying for a Physics Education Research postdoc position? I'm not sure if I have a TRUE relevant background for such research but notable things I've done are...

Founded "Science Club" - An after school program to get middle schoolers to "have fun with science".
    TAed physics Labs
    Tutored physics students
    STEMM instructor at a local private high school
    Actual physics research (to get my PhD)

Does anyone have a gauge if I'd have a shot at getting a postdoc in a physics education research department?

Thanks so much for your time!

Luke

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Slave labor for public schools? Somebody will snap you up in a NY minute. Are you prepared to do PC physics?

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In my (albeit limited) experience with physics education research, it seems that most people involved in it have branched into it from specializing in other areas. A friend of mine, for example, has a teaching-focussed position at a smaller liberal arts college in the US, but has contributed to research on the impact of gender in physics classrooms. I think many others tackle physics education problems that arise as they teach.

Are there many people with grant money that can fund a post-doctoral position physics education research? I suspect such positions are very limited if they exist at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook