• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Physics: Efficiency of toy car going upwards on a slope

the toy car gains energy by pushin down the "head" of the "driver" and is powered by a spring that powers the wheels. at different heights, it has different spring constant. I mean the slope's angles are changed at different periods of the experiment. I am unable to work out the spring constant. isn't it supposed to be Work done by the spring = .5*spring constant*displacement^2?? for different angles, my spring constants are changing. any help in solving my mystery??

No, that can't be right. The spring constant is something inherent in the spring that will always stay constant, unless of course it is pushed beyond its elasticity limit. I think you must be measuring the spring constant wrong.

Remember that

[tex]Work = \int \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{l}[/tex]

Are you accounting for different forces at different angles acting on the spring?

The equation you are using is correct because
[tex]\frac{-d U}{dx}=F=-kx[/tex]
which when you carry the dx to the other side and integrate between 0 and length s you will find that
[tex]U(s)=U(0)+\frac{1}{2}ks^2[/tex]

Thanx Mindscrape,
however, da force i put in was the same. we used da one toy car and pressed it down till it cld not go down any further. how do i account for da different forces at different angles?