Physics Extreme Project: learning physics/math in spare time

In summary: Abstract algebra is not really needed for physics, but if you're going to be a math nut, then you might as well learn it. In summary, it seems like you have a lot of material to cover in a short amount of time. It would be best to focus on one subject at a time and review thoroughly rather than trying to cover everything in a few months. It may also be helpful to start with a more basic level of physics before moving on to more intermediate topics. Additionally, organizing your plan of study in a logical order can help you make the most efficient use of your time.
Dr_Pill
I added the 'extreme' part to generate a cool acronym: P.E.P.

I want to review/learn as much as I can from physics & mathematics, in my spare time(!).

I started out with quantum mechanics & solid state physics, yet I discovered that my notions of classical physics are poor.

So I turned to classical mechanics & electrodynamics, then it became obvious to me that my basic math skills were also underachieving.
So I must add calculus, linear algebra and differential equations as well.
Of course I once studied this material, but it's so far away.Plus, my brains are rusty, not in shape.

I'm trying to get a nice logical order of subjects.

Phase 1:
Calculus =>Linear Algebra => Differential Equations
combined with
Classical Mechanics followed by Electrodynamics.

Is that a good start?

For Calculus, I use Stewart, Linear Algebra : Lay
Differential Equations: Boyce
Classical Mechanics: Classical Dynamics Particles/Systems
Elektrodynamics: Griffiths

I'm planning to review these subjects as profoundly as possible in as much as 2-3 months.
After that, I throw in Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics/Quantum Mechanics/Solid State Physics.
Possibly Abstract Algebra as well.
Problem is: I'm terrible at organizing, so advice/suggestions are more than welcome. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr_Pill said:

I want to review/learn as much as I can from physics & mathematics, in my spare time(!).

I started out with quantum mechanics & solid state physics, yet I discovered that my notions of classical physics are poor.

So I turned to classical mechanics & electrodynamics, then it became obvious to me that my basic math skills were also underachieving.
Of course I once studied this material, but it's so far away.Plus, my brains are rusty, not in shape.

Phase 1:
combined with

Is that a good start?

I'm planning to review these subjects as profoundly as possible in as much as 2-3 months.
After that, I throw in Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics/Quantum Mechanics/Solid State Physics.
Problem is: I'm terrible at organizing, so advice/suggestions are more than welcome. :)

I think that's a little ambitious! That is a huge body of material to study in such a short time, especially in your "spare" time.

I think you should take things on a bit slower. I would definitely review the calculus and differential equations, and that is enough to get you going with some real classical mechanics. Then you can do some vector calculus and move on to some E&M. Then do some Linear Algebra and move on to Quantum mechanics etc...

Have you already studied physics at the level of a typical calculus-based introductory course that uses something like Halliday/Resnick/Walker or the dozen or so similar textbooks? If not, then you might want to start there while you're catching up on calculus etc. You don't actually need a whole lot of calculus for books at that level.

jtbell said:
Have you already studied physics at the level of a typical calculus-based introductory course that uses something like Halliday/Resnick/Walker or the dozen or so similar textbooks? If not, then you might want to start there while you're catching up on calculus etc. You don't actually need a whole lot of calculus for books at that level.

Yes, I did three standard physics courses, that covered the whole Serway with Modern Physics + Giancoli.

Want to broaden my knowledge, from basic physics to intermediate.

Dr_Pill said:

Phase 1:
combined with

Is that a good start?

The "2-3 months" part is far too ambitious. Even with a good algebra backing, going through Stewart's Calculus book would take 2-3 months if you're rushing. At my University, that book is divided into three courses and is taught over the time period of about 15 months. I don't know how much spare time you have, but you'll probably have to extend your plan.

I would say do your math in the order of:
1. Calculus
2. Diff Eqns
3. Linear Algebra
4. Any/all math

For physics:
1. Classical Mechanics
2. E&M
3. Statistical Mechanics
4. Quantum Mechanics
5. Any/all physics

I threw Stat mech in because it's one of the four "pillars" of physics and is quite useful in all other areas.

1. How can I learn physics and math in my spare time?

To learn physics and math in your spare time, you can start by exploring online resources such as educational websites, YouTube channels, and online courses. You can also find books and textbooks on the subject and practice problems to improve your understanding. Additionally, joining study groups or finding a tutor can also be helpful.

2. What are some tips for effectively learning physics and math in spare time?

Some tips for effectively learning physics and math in your spare time include setting a schedule and sticking to it, breaking down complex concepts into smaller chunks, and practicing consistently. It is also important to ask questions and seek help when needed and to regularly review and test your knowledge.

3. How can I make learning physics and math in spare time more fun and engaging?

To make learning physics and math in your spare time more fun and engaging, you can try incorporating real-life examples and applications, using interactive resources and simulations, and setting up challenges or competitions for yourself. Collaborating with others and discussing concepts can also make the learning process more enjoyable.

4. Is it possible to learn physics and math without a formal education?

Yes, it is possible to learn physics and math without a formal education. With the vast amount of online resources and self-study materials available, anyone can learn these subjects on their own. However, having a formal education can provide a structured learning environment and access to experienced teachers, which can be beneficial in understanding complex concepts.

5. How can learning physics and math in spare time benefit me?

Learning physics and math in your spare time can benefit you in many ways. It can improve your problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and overall understanding of the world around you. It can also open up opportunities for higher education and career advancement in fields such as engineering, science, and technology.