1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics grad school with bio/premed major - possible?

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am a biology major (doing premed) as undergraduate right now. I was doing premed, however I volunteered at hospitals and such, and I am strongly starting to believe it is not for me at all. I loved physics in high school, took AP Physics and actively participated in Physics and Astrophysics clubs. Now, I know it is not the same thing as majoring in physics in college. I am thinking to add another semester to have a minor in physics. However, I am wondering if that would be enough to go to masters and PHD in physics??

I am interested in biology research too, but I have a strong passion towards physics and would really like to see if I can have any opportunity in it. My GPA right now is 3.45. I know, not that great but I messed up in freshman year but each semester my gpa kept going up and it keeps going up, so I expect it to be better by the time I graduate.

And I am participating in one of my professor's research lab. (biology)
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate any advice you might be able to give me.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To start a graduate program in physics, one is expected to have an undergrad degree in physics. A minor isn't enough. If physics is what you want to do, I'd recommend changing your major to physics.

4. May 22, 2013 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree with Vanadium here.

Sometimes you will see listed as a requirement for admisssion "a degree in physics or equivalent or permission from the department" or somesuch phrasing. What this translates into in practical terms is that students with a similar courseload to those who major in physics are also considered. Examples might be majors in engineering physics, physical chemistry, or mathematics with a considerable courseload in physics.

Unfortunately, a degree in biology with a physics minor won't usually cut it. And even if it did and you were by admitted, you would find yourself starting out graduate school playing catch-up amidst a field of others who were quite successful in a series of challenging senior undergraduate physics courses.

5. May 22, 2013 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook