1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics HW Problems HELP (Mass-Spring Oscillators)

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    I am really stressed because I missed a week of school and have this online assignment due tomorrow with a ton of problems, and my biggest problem is I am not even sure if I know the equations needed to solve this stuff, if I do I just can't piece it together.

1. An elastic cord oscillates up and down with a frequency of 7.4 Hz when a mass of .6 kg is hung from it. What is the frequency if only .38 kg hangs from it?

2.A mass attached to the end of a spring is stretched a distance .46 meters away from equilibrium and released. At what distance from equilibrium will its acceleration be equal to half of its maximum acceleration?

Equations
    Again, please suggest any other equations I need, I am so frusturated right now.

KE = (1/2)mv2max
    μspring = (1/2)kx2
    Vmax = 2πfA , [f = frequency, A = amplitude]

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2014 #2
    Can you set up a differential equation and derive a formula?

4. May 9, 2014 #3
    Have you read the textbook concerning these concepts? You should see there are several formulas for dealing with these types of problems. I'll give you just one formula:
    ##\omega=\sqrt{k/m}##

where ##\omega## is the radial velocity (in radians/sec), ##k## is the spring constant, and ##m## is the mass of the object attached to the spring.

See if you can find out how this and other related equations are derived, and how you may apply them to the problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted