1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics in the Medical field

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    Just a few questions I'm looking for my future career decisions anything would be more than helpful, I'm only a freshman as of now.
    first off, what major ways does physics influence the medical field?
    second, what engineering influences are there in typical medical practice?
    last, how can one get more involved with the development of medical engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Did you try to find this for yourself? I mean, Google is at your fingertips.

I entered "what major ways does physics influence the medical field?" exactly as the way you typed it, and one of the first results I get was this:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/02841860802244158

I suspect that you will get the same type of results if you try all your other questions. There is very little excuse to ask a question cold nowadays.

Zz.

4. Feb 7, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

5. Feb 7, 2017 #4

ya I did I am just looking for more personal experiences though, from people in that field of study

6. Feb 7, 2017 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Those are pretty broad questions, so it's tough to answer without narrowing things down a little.

You might want to start by looking up the fields of medical physics and biomedical engineering. Both physics and engineering have had and will continue to have major impacts on the medical field for years to come. Some major examples include:
    - radiation therapy
    - medical imaging (CT, MRI, PET, SPECT, ultrasound, mammography, etc.)
    - nuclear medicine
    - process engineering and control theory
    - modeling disease progression and response
    - nanomaterial design and fabrication
    - human factors engineering

There are a lot of avenues toward getting involved. Most start with an undergraduate degree in either physics or engineering. While you're doing that, you can look for opportunities to get involved in research that you find interesting. The further you go academically, the more opportunities there are.

7. Feb 8, 2017 #6

Thank you, that is more helpful than you know!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted