Physics jobs that involve a lot of travelling

• Physics
  • Thread starter climbthepeak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs Physics
In summary, a post doc typically does a few postdocs before landing a tenure-track faculty positions. They move around a bit because this sort of 'travelling' is just moving from job to job. Consulting positions require a lot of travel, and often hire Ph.Ds. The oil industry has a lot of opportunity for those with a physics background.
climbthepeak
Hi, I was wondering if there are any graduate physics jobs that involve a lot of traveling with the job, I'm not fussed about the pay, the idea of working in the same place for the rest of my life doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks a lot, Alex :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Any job can lead to a lot of traveling. I spent about a full year total in Europe and South America while working on my PhD, because that's where my collaborators and instruments were located. I didn't plan on it happening that way, it just happened.

...s ounds like you'd enjoy the life of a post-doc?

what does a post doc do?

Post-docs are short-term (2-3 year, typically) research positions. One typically has to do a few postdocs before landing a tenure-track faculty positions. Because postdoc positions are short-term and people intent on becoming a professor usually end up doing more than one, they end up moving around a bit (people usually don't do multiple postdocs at the same place). So, this sort of 'travelling' is really just moving from job to job. Postdocs typically go to conferences, too, but it depends on funding.

On the non-academic side, consulting positions typically require a lot of travel, and often hire Ph.Ds. I went to a talk by a guy from McKinsey and if I recall correctly he said he was traveling 4 days a week (he also said not many people stick with the job more than a few years because it's hard to settle down doing that much travelling).

Other companies in industry or finance sometimes also have global offices that you could possibly get sent to.

Really helpful, thanks a bunch

Mute said:
Post-docs are short-term (2-3 year, typically) research positions. One typically has to do a few postdocs before landing a tenure-track faculty positions. Because postdoc positions are short-term and people intent on becoming a professor usually end up doing more than one, they end up moving around a bit (people usually don't do multiple postdocs at the same place). So, this sort of 'travelling' is really just moving from job to job. Postdocs typically go to conferences, too, but it depends on funding.

On the non-academic side, consulting positions typically require a lot of travel, and often hire Ph.Ds. I went to a talk by a guy from McKinsey and if I recall correctly he said he was traveling 4 days a week (he also said not many people stick with the job more than a few years because it's hard to settle down doing that much travelling).

Other companies in industry or finance sometimes also have global offices that you could possibly get sent to.

I know that this is slightly off-topic, but I have read that within McKinsey, there are two main types of positions, at least at the entry level -- consultants and business analysts.

I would presume that the consultant positions will require more travel than the business analysts (from the job description I read on their website, the analysts support the consultants across multiple projects with research and the like).

There is plenty of scope for travel in the oil industry and there are certainly oppurtunities for those with a physics background here in the UK (and I'm guessing North America and Europe).

Mute said:

Yes, exactly. I think it also depends on how one defines 'travelling'. Consulting engagements at companies like McKinsey are often lasting for more than a year. So you are commuting to the same customer every week and you work with the same people, often in the same office, for a quite extended period of time.

If you (the thread starter) would prefer traveling to different locations often, I would look for positions called 'field engineer' (same terminology in different branches of engineering incl. software). It depends on your preferences, but these positions are more firefighting-like / stressful whereas a large consulting project feels more like a temporary employment at the customer's company.

thanks for the advice, i'll look into that

1. What are some examples of physics jobs that involve a lot of travelling?

Some examples of physics jobs that involve a lot of travelling include field researchers, international consultants, and sales representatives for scientific equipment.

2. What skills are necessary for physics jobs that involve a lot of travelling?

Some important skills for physics jobs that involve a lot of travelling include strong communication skills, adaptability, and problem-solving abilities. Additionally, being physically fit and having a valid passport are also helpful.

3. Is it necessary to have a physics degree for these types of jobs?

While having a degree in physics can be beneficial, it is not always necessary for these types of jobs. Many employers value practical experience and skills over a specific degree, so having a background in a related field or relevant experience can also be helpful.

4. Are physics jobs that involve a lot of travelling in demand?

Yes, there is a demand for physics jobs that involve a lot of travelling, especially in fields such as renewable energy, environmental research, and technology development. As technology and scientific advancements continue to progress globally, there is a growing need for professionals who can travel to different locations to conduct research, provide expertise, and collaborate with international teams.

5. What are some potential challenges of working in a physics job that involves a lot of travelling?

Some potential challenges of these types of jobs include being away from home for extended periods of time, dealing with jet lag and fatigue, and adjusting to different cultures and languages. It can also be physically and mentally demanding, as travelling can involve long hours and frequent changes in location. However, the opportunity for personal and professional growth, as well as the chance to see the world, can make these challenges worth it for many individuals.