1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics major having second thoughts

1. Jul 25, 2006 #1
    I'm a 4th year student in my second year as a physics undergrad. Having changed my major 4 times, I decided to settle on a subject and chose physics, which I do enjoy. However, the more I think about it, the more interesting engineering, specifically mechanical engineering, seems. Changing my major a 5th time, especially at this stage, is out of the question, but what sort of options do I have in getting a physics degree but finding a career that involves mechanical engineering, and is graduate school for engineering with a degree in physics even possible?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Actually, I think it was ZapperZ (not sure) that had an excellent point on physics careers in a post in Physics Post (it's linked fromt he main page even, I believe).

With a physics degree, you can pursue mechanical engineering still. The article even suggests taking non-physics-required courses that may compliment your career (in your case, mechanical engineering).

I personally think Physics is something that gives you a broad spectrum of cohcies, which is why I eventually chose it as a major. (I changed my major psychologically several times, but remained technically undeclared until I was sure about physics)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?