1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics major looking for some advice

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1

I am a physics major at UCF and currently have decided to pick up a math minor. The physics program is requiring calc 1,2,3 and differentials. The math minor is the same + a 3000 level course + a 4000 level course.
    I decided to take matrix and linear algebra as the 3000 level elective. I am leaning towards taking Mathematical Modeling I for the 4000 level course. I heard recommendations of Linear algebra, but this class requires a proof class and the linear matrix class to take. I would satisfy the minor without it. Should I suck up the extra time and do it?

I am currently completing calc I and plan to take Calc II and Phy I over the summer. In the fall then I would takes Differientals, Calc III, Phy II, Intro to C Program, and Macroeconomics. In the spring I would take PHY III, the matrix/linear algebra course, intro to theoretical physics, a gen ed, and an undecided 5th course.

I was wondering if I could receive some advice. I am still at a point I could basically switch to any science major without any problem almost. Would you recommend not doing physics? I have been leaning towards almost everything but chemistry. I was interested in the information technology majors but worry about those being possibly low income?

Is there any minors you would recommend? Computer science? Would an information technology minor be a waist of my time?

^^ Thank you
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2010 #2
    Programming is needed for any Physics Major, so get comfortable with it. It is not a waste in my opinion. You can do a language minor for fun
  4. Apr 23, 2010 #3
    What programming focus should i do? I have several options:

Major prefers Intro to C for the general ed requirement, going to consider this as required.

Current plan of specialization:
    Astronomy but UCF is not exactly offering any astronomy courses currently. (Only 1 of like 5 required)

Or I could switch to Specialize within computer science:
    computer science I + II
    computer methods in physics
    numerical science

Information Technology Minor:
    Computer Science I
    Intro To C
    *Pick 3*+1 More/elective (Some other possible electives, not exactly listed, I assume the specialization covers it)
    Internet applications
    Database concepts
    computer architecture concepts
    computer systems concepts
    desktop/internet publishing

Astronomy Choice: 5, Computer Science: 3

Computer Science Minor:
    My current understanding is that a computer science specialization can earn the minor.
    intro to C
    Intro to object oriented programming
    computer science I and II
    Introduction to discrete structure or foundations of discrete mathematics
    Comp. Organization

Astronomy Choice: 5, Computer Science: 3

I'm not that worried about completing all 5 if they do actually OFFER the astronomy classes. Would the information technology become to far off into another field? Or should I just skip the minor and target specific classes.

You can do a language minor for fun
    Foreign language? Noooo. NO. That is not fun lol. :( You have to force me to take one of those.

Just wondering opinions :)

Currently going to take intro to c and see how I like it. I'll ultimately decide on how I do on the class :)
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook