Physics Major: Should I transfer to UCLA or UCSB?

In summary, as a college student planning to transfer in the fall, the school you attend for your undergraduate education is not as important as long as it is not a poor quality institution. It may be beneficial to consider the cost of attending each school. When it comes to graduate school, it is competitive to get into top programs such as Cal Tech, regardless of where you attended for undergrad. Having research experience can be helpful, but it is not a requirement for admission. Ultimately, it is best to visit each school and speak with individuals in the department to make a decision.
JJHK
Hello, I am currently a college student planning on transferring this upcoming fall.

I am a Physics major with plans to get a Ph.D in theoretical Physics.

What school, do you think, will better prepare me for my academic path?

Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
The school in undergrad matters very little actually, as long as you don't go to a real bad college.

Perhaps find out which school will be the cheapest for you...

micromass said:

Aren't the UC's all part of the same entity? Doesn't that mean that tuition and stuff like that would be the same?

daveyinaz said:
Aren't the UC's all part of the same entity? Doesn't that mean that tuition and stuff like that would be the same?

I'm not familiar with it, so you're probably right. But you also have to consider cost of living and other stuff.

micromass said:
The school in undergrad matters very little actually, as long as you don't go to a real bad college.

So I'm assuming that it is your graduate school that matters? Then is it difficult to get into a good grad program such as Cal Tech from schools like UCLA and UCSB? Say I did well in my undergrad years at one of the two schools, with mostly A's. Would I still have a difficult time getting into Cal Tech?

JJHK said:
So I'm assuming that it is your graduate school that matters? Then is it difficult to get into a good grad program such as Cal Tech from schools like UCLA and UCSB? Say I did well in my undergrad years at one of the two schools, with mostly A's. Would I still have a difficult time getting into Cal Tech?

You will always have a difficult time to get into Caltech. You will be competing against top students from all over the US. I don't think there's anybody out there who can say with ease that they'll get into Caltech.

But I don't think that going to UCLA or UCSB will harm your chances. Your undergrad school doesn't really matter that much. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

JJHK said:

If you're transferring now as a sophomore and haven't started doing research/gotten an REU for this next Summer, you've probably missed the Caltech train. Straight A's with no research experience won't get you even in UCLA's grad program.

Ouch!

PhDorBust said:
Straight A's with no research experience won't get you even in UCLA's grad program.

Are you on the UCLA admissions committee?

Vanadium 50 said:
Are you on the UCLA admissions committee?

From data points of past applicants who have posted their profiles online, this is the case for UCLA and basically any other decent grad program. What are you trying to say?

Research is a good idea, because it gives the student some idea if graduate school would be a good fit, and the letter writers something specific to write about. It is not, however, anything like a requirement. Excellent universities accept students without research experience all the time.

PhDorBust said:
From data points of past applicants who have posted their profiles online, this is the case for UCLA and basically any other decent grad program. What are you trying to say?

I think that making a generalization based on what a few people put on their facebook or myspace page hardly encompasses all the possibilities when it comes to admittance into graduate school, UCLA or otherwise.

I would visit each school and talk to people in the department to make your decision.

1. Should I choose UCLA or UCSB for a Physics major?

The answer to this question ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. Both UCLA and UCSB have strong Physics programs and renowned faculty. Consider factors such as location, campus culture, research opportunities, and course offerings to make your decision.

2. What are the differences between the Physics programs at UCLA and UCSB?

While both schools offer rigorous Physics curriculums, UCLA has a larger and more diverse faculty, with a broader range of research areas. UCSB, on the other hand, has a smaller program with a focus on condensed matter physics and a strong emphasis on undergraduate research opportunities.

3. Which school has better research opportunities for Physics majors?

Both UCLA and UCSB have strong research programs in Physics, with opportunities for undergraduate students to get involved. However, UCLA's larger faculty and research budget may provide more opportunities for students to participate in a wider range of research projects.

4. How does the cost of attendance compare between UCLA and UCSB for a Physics major?

The cost of attendance for both schools will depend on factors such as financial aid and residency status. In general, UCLA is a more expensive school, but it also has more resources and funding available for students. It is important to consider the overall value of the education and opportunities offered at each school.

5. Can I transfer from UCLA to UCSB, or vice versa, if I am not satisfied with my choice?

It is possible to transfer between UCLA and UCSB, but it is not guaranteed. Both schools have specific transfer requirements and a limited number of spots available for transfer students. It is important to thoroughly research and consider your options before making a decision, as transferring may add time and cost to your education.