Physics & Math Major Guide | Leon Pierre

In summary, Leon Pierre is a physics major who wants to double major in physics and math. Their goal is to become a mathematical physicist, specializing in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. They are seeking guidance on which topics of mathematics to study and have received suggestions such as mathematical analysis, linear algebra, multivariable calculus, group theory, complex analysis, and differential equations. They have also been recommended a book that covers these topics in an integrated manner. They also have questions on how to approach physics problems, which they have been advised to seek help with on online forums or by reviewing the relevant material.
LeonPierreX
Hello, My name is Leon Pierre, and I am a physics major . I want to double major both in physics and math. My main goal is to be a mathematical physicists , who works in the fields dealing with electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. I am trying to figure out which topics of mathematics am I to study. Anyone can help and guide me ? I really appreciate it Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Leon

This really belongs in the academic guidance section and the mods probably will move it there.

I actually did a degree in applied math, not physics, and self taught myself physics, so I feel from experience I can point you in the direction of the math I studied that was useful in that endeavour.

First, if you want to study math and call yourself a mathematician of some sort, eg a mathematical physicist etc, then you must do your epsilonics which is colloquial for mathematical analysis ie the rigorous study of calculus. No need to go really deep into it but you need to know things like the pinching theorem, what being dense means etc. That's so you can understand proofs like the following:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=758125

Aside from that I would say:
Linear Algebra
Multivariable Calculus
Group Theory
Complex Analysis
Advanced Ordinary Differential Equations
Partial Differential Equations
Hilbert Spaces
Probability and Statistics (the deep theory isn't required - ok if you do it - but an understanding of the basic axioms and statistical inference - they would be courses like Probability and Statistics for Scientists and Engineers)

By self study, better if there is a course in it, but there usually isnt, knowledge of Distribution Theory:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521558905/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its simply the best way to understand Fourier theory, but even aside from that it allows you to get a grasp of the dreaded Dirac Delta function used a lot in QM.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You Bill :) I really appreciate it .

Bill's list is quite good, but I feel it focuses on the needs of quantum mechanics. You said you also want to do electromagnetism, well, there's actually a few different formulations that require different mathematical knowledge. For an ordinary physicist the regular integral and differential formulations of maxwells equations only require multivariable calculus and vector calculus. In addition the in medium equations and such requires very similar mathematics. These areas Bill has already listed. I do want to mention though that there are additional formulations of the maxwells equations in the language of tensors (the Faraday tensor) and differential forms that would require knowledge of differential geometry and the calculus of differential forms. For a normal physicist these additional formulations are not super necessary and can be skipped. The normal formulations serve all practical and calculational needs quite nicely. But if you want to know more deeply the mathematical and geometrical structure of electromagnetism, then you need to learn this as well.

Matterwave said:
For a normal physicist these additional formulations are not super necessary and can be skipped. The normal formulations serve all practical and calculational needs quite nicely. But if you want to know more deeply the mathematical and geometrical structure of electromagnetism, then you need to learn this as well.

That's true.

But I can't resist mentioning a book that does all this, and much more beside:
http://matrixeditions.com/UnifiedApproach4th.html

It covers, in an integrated whole:
Basic Analysis
Differential Forms
Linear Algebra
Vector Calculus
Lebesque Integration and Measure Theory - needed for understanding Hilbert Spaces.
Even a good bit of rigorous probability theory in the proper context of measure theory.

I have the third edition - absolutely superb.

Get one for your library - you will not regret it.

Their book on functional anaysis (that's Hilbert spaces and such) is also by reputation excellent:
http://matrixeditions.com/FunctionalAnalysisVol1.html

But haven't got a copy myself, so can't directly speak to it, but have been meaning to get a copy for a while.

Think I will do it now while I remember.

With both those books you will have covered a good deal of what you need to know.

Added Later:
Just ordered it - like I said been meaning to do it for a while.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
This is awesome :) I really appreciated guys. I was bit confuse on how to approach on what to study, but you guys simplified it for me . Thank you :)

I have another question. And this is for those who take physics seriously. I want some few pointers on how to approach problems when working on one . What do you do when you are stuck and don't fully comprehend the problem ? ( For Experts and those who are serious.) Anyone

LeonPierreX said:
I have another question. And this is for those who take physics seriously. I want some few pointers on how to approach problems when working on one . What do you do when you are stuck and don't fully comprehend the problem ? ( For Experts and those who are serious.) Anyone

Ask on here for how to start the problem or look online at the first few lines of the solution? Maybe also try to go through the section again.

Thanks . I somewhat understand. This is not a homework problem. I'm working on some problems just for practice. Thanks I really appreciate it .

Even though it's not a class assignment, we consider such questions (asking for help on specific exercises) to be "homework" which need to be posted in the homework help forums. I moved your question and Rocket50's answer into a new thread titled "Relative Velocity Problem" in the "Introductory Physics Homework forum:"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=771410

Alright. Will do. And thanks for the links .

1. What is the difference between a physics and math major?

A physics major focuses primarily on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while a math major focuses on the study of mathematical concepts and their applications. However, both majors require a strong understanding of both physics and mathematics.

2. What kind of career opportunities are available for physics and math majors?

There are many career opportunities available for physics and math majors, including research positions in academia and industry, careers in engineering and technology, and roles in finance and data analysis. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in various fields.

3. What skills are important for success in a physics and math major?

A strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and an interest in the natural world are all important for success in a physics and math major. Good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also valuable for collaborating on projects and research.

4. What are some common courses taken in a physics and math major?

Some common courses for a physics major may include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. Math majors may take courses such as calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and discrete math.

5. How can I prepare for a physics and math major in high school?

To prepare for a physics and math major in high school, it is important to take challenging courses in math, science, and computer science. Building a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry will also be helpful. Additionally, participating in math and science competitions, and seeking out opportunities for hands-on experience and research can also be beneficial.