Physics Minor with Computer Science

In summary, the conversation is about a student considering taking extra courses to qualify for a minor in physics, as it could help with their major in computer science and potentially improve job opportunities. The student is unsure if it's worth it and is trying to convince their parents to pay for the extra courses. They also discuss other potential minors, such as graphic design or finance, that could be beneficial in the job market.
gibberingmouther
I'd have to take 3 extra courses to qualify for the minor. Is it worth it?

Yes, I'm majoring in computer science and over halfway through my bachelor's.

I'm learning from the current course I'm taking that the online homework - and to some degree the labs - really helps with comprehension. I can teach myself but probably not as well as if I'd taken a course.

Convincing my parents to pay for it would be the hard thing. Maybe if I do well in my current physics course or I can show how it could help me in the job market they'll be more easy to convince.

Are there any other minors that might really help with the job market? I really *enjoy* physics which is why I'm considering this minor. But, again, got to convince my parents.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do they need to be convinced? They would be expected to already understand intuitively, that the connection between the two is a very sensible one.

To help them understand, you can tell them the Physics courses may form some opportunities for some applied computerization experience. I am not sure how reliable is this idea, but I imagine that it would be true. You might find better details about any such computerization involved in your Physics courses if you talk to people in your school's Physics department and Computer Science department.

What other minors? Graphic design or finance could be useful.

1. What is a Physics Minor with Computer Science?

A Physics Minor with Computer Science is a program that combines the study of physics with computer science. This minor allows students to gain a strong foundation in both disciplines and explore the intersection between the two fields.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a Physics Minor with Computer Science?

There are several benefits to pursuing a Physics Minor with Computer Science. This combination of disciplines can open up career opportunities in fields such as scientific computing, data analysis, and software development. Additionally, students gain critical thinking and problem-solving skills from both physics and computer science courses.

3. What courses are typically included in a Physics Minor with Computer Science?

The courses included in a Physics Minor with Computer Science may vary by institution, but common courses include introductory physics courses, computer programming languages, data structures, and algorithms. Some programs may also offer electives in areas such as computational physics or scientific computing.

4. Is a Physics Minor with Computer Science a good choice for students interested in pursuing graduate studies?

Yes, a Physics Minor with Computer Science can be a great choice for students interested in pursuing graduate studies in a variety of fields. This minor provides a strong foundation in both physics and computer science, which can be beneficial for students pursuing advanced degrees in fields such as physics, computer science, or engineering.

5. Can students with no prior experience in either physics or computer science pursue a Physics Minor with Computer Science?

Yes, students with no prior experience in either physics or computer science can pursue a Physics Minor with Computer Science. However, it is important for students to have a strong interest and aptitude in both disciplines, as the coursework can be challenging. It may also be helpful for students to take introductory courses in both physics and computer science before pursuing this minor.