1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PHYSICS OF MUSIC: Pitch is organ pipes & vibration spectrum

1. Sep 22, 2006 #1
    Hi. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me whether I'm correct or not. :smile:

1. An open pipe (open at both ends) and a closed pipe (closed at one end) are the same length. If an organ blows air across the top of each pipe, what is true of the frequency (and pitch) of the sound produced?
    A) the pitch you hear will be the same
    B) the pitch of the closed pipe will be higher
    C) the pitch of the open pipe will be higher (my answer)

2. In a vibration spectrum (frequency (x-axis) vs amplitude (y-axis) graph) for a plucked string, why are there spaces between the lines? Why are most frequencies zero amplitudes?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2
    1. You can actually try this out with a plastic straw. Also, you can make a diagram and figure out the wavelengths with relation to one another. So, yes, you are correct ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?