Physics olympiad book suggestion

In summary, the speaker, a student in class 11, has completed their mechanics and thermodynamics courses and is now interested in participating in a physics olympiad. They have used resources such as Resnick Halliday, Irodov problems, and IITJEE books, but have found that the problems in olympiads are typically harder. They are asking for recommendations for books or resources that could help them prepare for olympiad problems. A suggestion is made to search for past olympiad papers, which are freely available for both UK and US versions.
pcm
i am in class 11 and have recently completed my mechanics and thermodynamics.
i want to participate in physics olympiad .i used resnick halliday ,irodov problems and iitjee related books.but the problems that come up at olympiads are typically harder than the problems in those books.
so is there any book for problems that would be helpful for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
pcm said:
i am in class 11 and have recently completed my mechanics and thermodynamics.
i want to participate in physics olympiad .i used resnick halliday ,irodov problems and iitjee related books.but the problems that come up at olympiads are typically harder than the problems in those books.
so is there any book for problems that would be helpful for me.

Google for past olympiad papers.I think they are freely available,both the UK and US versions.

1. What is the best book for preparing for Physics Olympiad?

The best book for preparing for Physics Olympiad is subjective and may vary from person to person. Some popular choices among students are "Concepts of Physics" by HC Verma, "Problems in General Physics" by IE Irodov, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler.

2. Are there any specific books for each topic in Physics Olympiad?

Yes, there are specific books for each topic in Physics Olympiad. Some popular ones are "Problems in Mechanics" by David Morin, "Problems in Optics and Waves" by AP French, and "Problems in Electricity and Magnetism" by Kip Thorne.

3. Are there any online resources for Physics Olympiad preparation?

Yes, there are various online resources available for Physics Olympiad preparation. Some popular ones are AAPT Physics Olympiad website, Physics Forums, and Physics Stack Exchange.

4. How should I approach studying from a Physics Olympiad book?

It is recommended to first understand the concepts and theories thoroughly, and then solve practice problems and previous years' Olympiad questions to test your understanding. It is also helpful to make notes and review them regularly.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to excel in Physics Olympiad?

While a strong background in physics can certainly be helpful, it is not a requirement to excel in Physics Olympiad. With dedication and hard work, anyone can improve their understanding and problem-solving skills in physics and perform well in the Olympiad.