1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics One material in Physical Chemistry

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    I managed to get through a physics for bio majors type class with very little understanding of mechanics. I didn't put much effort in because at the time I was a biology major.

Now I'm more interested in chemistry and will soon be taking the dreaded physical chemistry. I am curious how much mechanics and stuff from Physics I will I have to know to understand P-Chem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2
    I'm taking p-chem now but I'm only a third of the way through the course. So far I only needed to have some familiarity with things like work or energy. I don't think you need to know it in depth.
  4. Oct 28, 2008 #3
    "Mechanics" (aka. Newtonian mechanics) material isn't covered much in P-chem... what is covered more is concepts from quantum mechanics and thermodynamics (which involves concepts of energy and work as mentioned by leumas614 above). These are typically in a third semester physics course, although it depends on your instituton). I would, however, additionally recommend that you see what courses are required prerequisites or corequisites for the class.
  5. Oct 28, 2008 #4
    I think it depends on the particulars of the course - basic mechanics cropped up when I was doing p. chem. (for instance, a little bit of the classical wave equation when discussing wavefunctions, a good bit of mention when doing the section of the course on kinetic theory of gases), but you should be good with the basic notions of mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?