Physics or Engineering Physics degree? Both requirements met.

I'm interested in both physics and engineering. After undergrad, I would like to pursue a masters in engineering, then a PhD in physics.

Right now, I'm taking both physics and engineering courses. I will meet the requirements for both the physics or engineering physics major. Since my coursework will be the same either way, it doesn't matter much to me. Is there any advantage of one over the other?

Answers and Replies

If you are truly passionate about both and already working on both, why don't you double major?

It will leave you with more options when you are choosing a master's program in any case. http://reviews.collegetimes.us/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. We're not allowed to double count courses for a double major. So a double major is not possible, even though I will be meeting the requirements for both.

I'm sure admissions committees pay more attention to coursework, so that's not my main concern. My main concern is that if I decide to pursue industry, I'm thinking the engineering physics degree might be more attractive to employers. At the same time, I'm worried that some might dismiss engineering physics majors in favor of physics or engineering majors (more focused majors).

Does anyone have any insight on how employers look at these two majors?

In all the job interviews I've had for EE jobs, I've been asked a lot about my coursework and about projects and internships I did. I think employers are more concerned with what you actually did than with what your major is called. On your resume, no matter what your official major is, you get a chance to list courses, internships, and projects.

What what I understand Engineering Physics is a lot closer to Physics than it is to Engineering. I doubt calling what you did "Engineering Physics" instead of "Physics" would increase your chance of getting hired by an engineering company. IMO you should call it a Physics degree. On your resume, and when asked at an interview, you can elaborate on what specifically you did in your major that is relevant to engineering.