Physics or Engineering Physics degree? Both requirements met.

In summary, the individual is interested in both physics and engineering and is currently taking courses in both subjects. They will meet the requirements for both majors and are considering which one may be more advantageous for their future career in industry. They are unable to double major due to course restrictions, but believe their coursework and experience will speak for itself on their resume. They are seeking insight on how employers view the two majors, and have received advice to list their degree as physics and highlight relevant coursework and experiences during interviews.
Spherical Cow
I'm interested in both physics and engineering. After undergrad, I would like to pursue a masters in engineering, then a PhD in physics.

Right now, I'm taking both physics and engineering courses. I will meet the requirements for both the physics or engineering physics major. Since my coursework will be the same either way, it doesn't matter much to me. Is there any advantage of one over the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are truly passionate about both and already working on both, why don't you double major?

It will leave you with more options when you are choosing a master's program in any case. http://reviews.collegetimes.us/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. We're not allowed to double count courses for a double major. So a double major is not possible, even though I will be meeting the requirements for both.

I'm sure admissions committees pay more attention to coursework, so that's not my main concern. My main concern is that if I decide to pursue industry, I'm thinking the engineering physics degree might be more attractive to employers. At the same time, I'm worried that some might dismiss engineering physics majors in favor of physics or engineering majors (more focused majors).

Does anyone have any insight on how employers look at these two majors?

In all the job interviews I've had for EE jobs, I've been asked a lot about my coursework and about projects and internships I did. I think employers are more concerned with what you actually did than with what your major is called. On your resume, no matter what your official major is, you get a chance to list courses, internships, and projects.

What what I understand Engineering Physics is a lot closer to Physics than it is to Engineering. I doubt calling what you did "Engineering Physics" instead of "Physics" would increase your chance of getting hired by an engineering company. IMO you should call it a Physics degree. On your resume, and when asked at an interview, you can elaborate on what specifically you did in your major that is relevant to engineering.

I can understand your interest in both physics and engineering. Both fields offer unique and valuable perspectives on understanding and solving complex problems. It is great that you are already taking courses in both areas and have the opportunity to meet the requirements for both majors.

In terms of pursuing a masters and PhD, it is important to consider what specific career goals you have in mind. A physics degree may be more focused on theoretical and fundamental concepts, while an engineering physics degree may have a more practical and applied approach. It ultimately depends on your individual interests and what you hope to achieve in your future career.

Both degrees can lead to exciting and fulfilling career paths, so it is important to research and consider your options carefully. It may also be beneficial to speak with professors and professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of the opportunities available in each.

In terms of advantages, it may be helpful to consider the reputation and resources of the specific programs you are considering. Look into the faculty, research opportunities, and alumni success in both physics and engineering departments to get a better sense of which may align more closely with your goals.

Overall, I would encourage you to continue exploring both physics and engineering, as they both offer valuable skills and perspectives that can be applied in a variety of fields. Ultimately, the decision between a physics or engineering physics degree should be based on your personal interests and career aspirations. Good luck in your academic journey!

1. What is the difference between a Physics degree and an Engineering Physics degree?

A Physics degree typically focuses more on theoretical concepts and research, while an Engineering Physics degree combines the principles of both physics and engineering to solve real-world problems and design practical solutions.

2. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in Physics or Engineering Physics?

Graduates with a degree in Physics or Engineering Physics have a wide range of career options, including working in research labs, teaching, technology development, aerospace, renewable energy, and many others.

3. What skills will I gain from pursuing a degree in Physics or Engineering Physics?

In addition to strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a degree in Physics or Engineering Physics will also provide you with excellent mathematical and computational skills, laboratory experience, and the ability to think critically and creatively.

4. Is a degree in Physics or Engineering Physics difficult?

Both degrees can be challenging, as they involve complex mathematical concepts and require a lot of dedication and hard work. However, if you have a passion for these subjects and are willing to put in the effort, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree with a degree in Physics or Engineering Physics?

Yes, many graduates with a degree in Physics or Engineering Physics go on to pursue higher education, such as a Master's or Ph.D., in their field of interest. This can lead to opportunities for advanced research, teaching, and specialized career paths.