Physics or engineering for study?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student who is passionate about physics and engineering, but is unsure about their future career path. Various options and opinions are discussed, including the difference between theoretical physics and engineering, the importance of considering job opportunities and making money, and the possibility of combining both fields through areas such as accelerator science, detector physics, and engineering physics. The conversation also highlights the importance of exposure to different areas of physics and engineering before making a decision.
Abtinnn
Hi guys!

I'm currently studying in grade 11. I am very passionate about physics and I already am ahead of some undergrad university levels. However, I am a bit indecisive about my future :-/

I love physics and I would want to do theoretical physics in a field like cosmology, quantum mechanics, or general relativity. But I also love engineering, and I love to design and build stuff. For engineering I'm planning on either aerospace or robotics engineering.

What is your opinion? Please let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to do pure research or teach Physics, then Physics is the way to go. If you want to design and build things, then Engineering is the way to go. For Physics, I'll have to caution you that if you want to conduct pure research in Physics, you will need a Ph.D. Not to say you cannot get involved with pure research with a Bachelors/Masters degree, however if you do so with a Physics education that is less than a Ph.D. you will likely be a technician. As a technician you would be building, setting up, and running equipment for the Ph.D. Physicists to conduct their experiments. A technician would also collect and reduce experimental data.
Engineers on the other hand don't really need a Ph.D. to design and build things, they can do so with just a Bachelors degree.

Likes Abtinnn
Consider the other part of what a job is for in your decision: making money.

Likes Abtinnn
I am not from the States myself but when I look at some of these engineering programs, they look like standard physics programs here in Europe.

http://engineering.berkeley.edu/academics/undergraduate-guide/academic-departments-programs/civil-environmental-engineering

What the hell is the difference anyway? Also what is it with the current mentality to put people in well defined boxes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Abtinnn
Abtinnn said:
Hi guys!

I'm currently studying in grade 11. I am very passionate about physics and I already am ahead of some undergrad university levels. However, I am a bit indecisive about my future :-/

I love physics and I would want to do theoretical physics in a field like cosmology, quantum mechanics, or general relativity. But I also love engineering, and I love to design and build stuff. For engineering I'm planning on either aerospace or robotics engineering.

What is your opinion? Please let me know

Unfortunately (?), we get many questions like this, and they pop up very frequently. And I continue to be baffled by such things and I had never gotten any kind of reasonable response on how someone can have such a dichotomy.

To me, "theoretical physics" is on the opposite extreme of "engineering" and building stuff. They are on opposite ends. So someone who considers doing only one or the other seems to be considering only one extreme field or the other, AS IF, there is nothing else in between! How about choosing a field of study that can comfortably straddle the theory aspect of doing physics AND you also get to design and build things as well, i.e. get your cake and eat it too?!

There are many areas of physics and engineering that do that: accelerator science, detector physics, device physics, material science, medical physics, etc. There is a VERY good chance that you haven't been exposed to all the many different areas of physics and engineering yet, so your knowledge in what is out there is severely incomplete.

BTW, at your age, there is a very good chance also that you will NOT end up doing what you think you want to do right now:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/career-poll-2.667559/

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes vela, Abtinnn and PFuser1232
russ_watters said:
Consider the other part of what a job is for in your decision: making money.
Yes I have considered that a lot. In that case, something like aerospace is better.
The thing is that if I choose engineering, it'd be a good thing because there is always something to do/build. But physics sound a bit riskier. I look at other theories and concepts and I ask myself "if I were that guy, would I have come up with this?" and I can't really answer that...

P.S. I am going to have to study in Canada, so the best university that I could go to would be u of t. And I'm not sure if u of t engineering is better than physics or not.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately (?), we get many questions like this, and they pop up very frequently. And I continue to be baffled by such things and I had never gotten any kind of reasonable response on how someone can have such a dichotomy.

To me, "theoretical physics" is on the opposite extreme of "engineering" and building stuff. They are on opposite ends. So someone who considers doing only one or the other seems to be considering only one extreme field or the other, AS IF, there is nothing else in between! How about choosing a field of study that can comfortably straddle the theory aspect of doing physics AND you also get to design and build things as well, i.e. get your cake and eat it too?!

There are many areas of physics and engineering that do that: accelerator science, detector physics, device physics, material science, medical physics, etc. There is a VERY good chance that you haven't been exposed to all the many different areas of physics and engineering yet, so your knowledge in what is out there is severely incomplete.

Zz.

Well the thing is that I love theory, but I don't usually like it when things are always up in my head. I want to somehow make a connection to the world, which is why I like engineering as well. Also would you think there is a way of combining, say, aerospace and physics?

I forgot to add: would anyone recommend engineering physics? :-/

A good theorist is always in touch with experiment (i.e. not a cosmologist or quantum gravity theorist); working in something more "mundane" such as condensed matter physics gives you a reasonable chance that you'll be in touch with the real world.

Likes Abtinnn
Hmm alright
Thanks a lot! :D

What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is the study of the natural world and its fundamental principles, while engineering is the application of these principles to design and build practical solutions to problems.

What skills are required for a career in physics or engineering?

Both fields require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math and science. Creativity, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team are also important.

What career opportunities are available in physics and engineering?

Both fields offer a wide range of career options, including research and development, design and manufacturing, consulting, and teaching. Graduates in these fields can also find employment in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare.

What is the typical course of study for a degree in physics or engineering?

The specific courses will vary depending on the program and specialization, but most degree programs in physics or engineering will include a mix of math, science, and engineering courses. Students will also typically have the opportunity to participate in laboratory work and research projects.

Is it necessary to have a graduate degree for a career in physics or engineering?

While a bachelor's degree is usually the minimum requirement for entry-level positions, a graduate degree can open up more advanced job opportunities and may be necessary for certain specialized fields. Additionally, many companies offer tuition assistance for employees pursuing advanced degrees.