Physics paper, picture analysis

In summary: The horizontal distance is also measured between the two consecutive images. The average speed of the ball can then be calculated using the formula:v_{avg}=\frac{x}{t}where x is the horizontal distance and t is the time interval found earlier. This average speed represents the flash rate, as requested.In summary, the conversation revolves around answering questions about a picture to be used in a final paper for physics. The main focus is on determining the flash rate and the initial velocity of the ball in the picture. The approach involves using kinematics equations and a scaling factor to estimate the distances and times. The final answer for the flash rate is approximately 0.043 seconds between each image, and the initial velocity is approximately
mikky05v

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework probelm, I'm trying to answer some questions about a picture to use in my final paper for physics. I thought it would be a fun thing to have thrown in there but I can't seem to figure out how to start.
http://img1.photographersdirect.com/img/8998/wm/pd1304871.jpg [Broken]
The questions I chose to answer were What is the flashrate and how fast is it moving when it leaves the man's hand.

Homework Equations

I don't know what equations i need but I'm sure it would be some of the kinematics equations. I do know that at the top of each bounce it's x and y movement = 0 or something like that. And i know i need to come up with a scaling factor which i will put up in about 5 minutes when my printer finishes printing out this picture. Any advice or whatever for other things that could help would be awesome. I am not a physics major lol.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the thickness of the fingers one can estimate the VERTICAL distance the ball falls from one picture of the ball to the next one.

grzz said:
From the thickness of the fingers one can estimate the VERTICAL distance the ball falls from one picture of the ball to the next one.

that's exactly what i was about to try but i had to print a ruler.. turns out the only one i have is for architecture and is useless lol

I suppose that the ball is released from rest.

grzz said:
I suppose that the ball is released from rest.

it might be but if it was it should drop straight down not on a slight angle and the pictures would be closer together at the beginning like they are at the tops of the bounces

from my measurements the width of the finger in the picture is .5cm exactly and the average real finger width is 2cm. which gives a scalinging factor of real/picture= 4
the ball is 9/10cm so multiplied by the caling factor it is 3.6cm. the distance between the first ball an the second is 3cm*sf=12cm
I took the distance of the 2nd bounce (because it has a clear picture of the top of the bounce where the vertical=0) and found the the ball moves 21.8cm (thats picture*sf) vertically

Now what?
I think i need a kinematics equation of some sort.. I can determine that the change in time is equal to sqrt(2(change-y)/gravity) but i don't know hwat forumal that is derived from it's just something i have written down. Can someone tell me what formula this is from? it gives me a time between each ball of approx .21seconds.. so that answers my first question of flash rate.

How do i find the initial velocity as it leaves his hand
t=.21seconds displacement of y= 12cm displacement of x=3.2cm

Last edited:
I have an answer.
I used the formulas:
x=Vix*t+.5g*t^2
=>Vix=(x-.5gt^2)/t
and Viy=(y-.5gt^2)/t

Since I measured my x to 3.2cm I got 55.61cm/s
y was 12cm so 265.12cm/s

Then I used pythagorean's theorem |V|= sqrt(x^2+y^2) = 270.90 cm/s

can anyone give me some feedback?

Correction: t= .042 not .21 bc you have to divide .21 by the 5 images in that span. The above numbers have been adjusted and should now be correct.

Last edited:
mikky05v said:
it might be but if it was it should drop straight down not on a slight angle ...

You are right.

Allow me to correct my previous post.

The ball CANNOT fall from rest since it must have a component of velocity in the horizontal.

The flash rate can be found from the first and second position of the image of the ball.

The formula

y = v[itex]_{i}[/itex]t + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]gt[itex]^{2}[/itex]

is used in the VERTICAL direction.

The vertical direction is chosen since in this direction we know the initial speed v[itex]_{i}[/itex] which is assumed to be 0 m/s.

The value of y is estimated from the picture and the value of g is known. Hence the time interval of the two consecutive images can be found.

1. What is a physics paper, picture analysis?

A physics paper, picture analysis is a scientific method of examining and interpreting an image or diagram related to a physics concept or experiment. It involves using knowledge of physics principles and equations to analyze the image and draw conclusions about the physical phenomena depicted.

2. How is a physics paper, picture analysis different from a regular picture analysis?

A regular picture analysis may focus on the aesthetic or artistic elements of an image, while a physics paper, picture analysis specifically applies the principles of physics to understand and explain the scientific content of the image.

3. What are the benefits of performing a physics paper, picture analysis?

Performing a physics paper, picture analysis can enhance understanding of complex physics concepts, improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and provide visual representations of physical phenomena that are difficult to imagine or visualize.

4. What are some common techniques used in a physics paper, picture analysis?

Some common techniques used in a physics paper, picture analysis include identifying and labeling key components of the image, applying equations and principles to calculate values or make predictions, and comparing the image to real-world observations or experiments.

5. Can anyone perform a physics paper, picture analysis?

While a basic understanding of physics principles is helpful, anyone with an interest in physics can perform a physics paper, picture analysis. However, it is important to have access to accurate information and resources in order to effectively analyze the image and draw accurate conclusions.