Physics phD with engineering degree?

In summary: Yes, it is possible to do a PHD in Astrophysics from an engineering or Earth Sciences degree. However, it is important to note that you will likely need to take additional coursework and/or upgrade your undergraduate degree to be admitted into a physics doctoral program. Age is not as much of an issue as financial stability. Many physics doctoral students are in their 30s or even 40s.
Link
Is it possible (common) to proceed to graduate studies in Astrophysics starting from a Masters degree in Engineering or Earth Sciences?

Also is it too old to start studying for a physics phD at 30 after having worked some years outside academia?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have an person who was previously engineering in our graduate program here. He is doing quite well. So, at least for him it works fine.

As far as age is concerned, I don't believe that to be a big issue. There are several people here who are older than you are working toward their Ph.D. in physics. I am on of them, and I am currently writing my dissertation, have presented at multiple conferences, published papers etc. Actually I am avoiding writing my dissertation by writing this post.

I am located in the US. I can not speak for other countries.

Yes to both.

With respect to admissions, you need to contact the specific department and be sure to meet their admissions standards. You may be required to upgrade or take a few additional courses, but I know of several engineers who've easily made the cross over.

With respect to age, you're only too old when you're dead. I think the bigger question is really one of financial stability. Grad students don't usually make a lot of money and their studies often demand a lot of their time. At 30ish lots of people are at a point where quitting a full time job just isn't economically feasible - especially when a family is involved. If you're in a position to make the kind of sacrifices needed, age itself isn't a problem.

Hi Link,

Did you make it to a PHysics PhD? I need to know because I am also an engineer planning to do a PhD in Physics.

What is the difference between a Physics PhD and an Engineering degree?

A Physics PhD focuses on the study of natural phenomena and the laws that govern them, while an Engineering degree focuses on the application of scientific principles to design and build practical solutions to real-world problems.

Can I pursue a Physics PhD with an Engineering degree?

Yes, many universities offer combined programs where students can earn a Physics PhD with a concentration in Engineering. Alternatively, you can also pursue a Physics PhD after completing an Engineering degree, but you may need to take additional coursework to bridge any knowledge gaps.

What career opportunities are available with a Physics PhD and an Engineering degree?

With this combination of qualifications, you can pursue a variety of careers, including research and development in industries such as aerospace, renewable energy, and telecommunications. You can also work in academia as a professor or researcher.

What skills are necessary for a Physics PhD with an Engineering degree?

To succeed in this field, you should have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and engineering principles. You should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills, as well as a passion for learning and discovery.

How long does it take to complete a Physics PhD with an Engineering degree?

The duration of this program can vary depending on the university and your individual progress. Typically, it takes around 5-6 years to complete a Physics PhD, and an additional 1-2 years to complete an Engineering degree. However, a combined program can take less time as some credits may be applied towards both degrees.